Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Banjo fitting to Sierra rear calipers
Toprivetguns

posted on 17/11/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Banjo fitting to Sierra rear calipers

Evening gents,

Im currently running sierra rear calipers on my MK Indy. To allow clearance for my brake lines ive purchased two banjo fittings which Ive fabricated to fit my goodrich lines.

My problem is when I install the banjo fitting to the caliper (M10 fitting) it tends to leak. (picture below)

Description
Description

Now ive tried coppers rings to seal between the mating faces, however with no luck they still leak.

What would anyone recommend? Nylon washer seals?

Regards

Andy

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

russbost

posted on 17/11/11 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the Sierra caliper doesn't have a machined face, only cast, it was obviously originally intended to seal with the standard male union in the bottom of the drilling.

To seal a banjo, even with a copper washer you must have a perfect face to seal against, if you're very good with a file, you just might acheive a good enough finish, but really you should take the calipers & get them machined. The alternative if you have room is to use a straight swivel connector with a suitable bend in it.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Toprivetguns

posted on 17/11/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Russbost,

Thanks very much for your reply. Do you an example of a straight swivel connector?

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

russbost

posted on 17/11/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you look at the picture in my ebay ad

Motorcycle brake lines brake line kits Stainless Braid | eBay

the top row far left is an ordinary straight male swivel, the 5th in from the left (dark red colour) is a female with a 90 degree bend, the same extended necks can be used with the male swivels, bent anything up to 90 degrees, sorry haven't got a convenient pic of a swivel male with a bend, but hope you get the idea.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
matt_gsxr

posted on 17/11/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
As Russ says, although I didn't find it that difficult to sort it out with a bit of gentle filing and I am not particularly good at this stuff.

The other thing to be aware of is the bottoming out of the banjo, as the hole isn't very deep.

I think the banjo mod on Sierra callipers is quite popular as it can help with 13inch wheels.

Matt

bob

posted on 17/11/11 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I cleaned the face up on the sierra calipers with a fine wet n dry, fitted the banjos with some copper rings from GM Vauxhaul part (thicker than the ones i had with the banjo's supplied and stopped the thread bottoming out).
Snuggs

posted on 18/11/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I failed SVA on this point but that was 7 years ago.
The tester wanted to see that the surface was flat/machined.
If you have not yet passed IVA I would suggest that you take photographs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.