Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MG 2.5 V6 Engines... Any Good!?
scootz

posted on 19/12/11 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
MG 2.5 V6 Engines... Any Good!?

Does anyone know much about them???

Reliable? Tunable? Heavy?

Cheers

It's Evolution Baby!

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 19/12/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Is the 350z engine getting lonely then.
scootz

posted on 19/12/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Nope! It has 2 other engines to keep it company just now!

It's Evolution Baby!

daniel mason

posted on 19/12/11 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Wait for BT to reply. He seems extremely clued up on all things. Rover/mg

britishtrident

posted on 19/12/11 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Very light all 2.5 engines are basically the Rover engines are the same only difference is minor changes in mapping ie the MG 190 develops less than 190 bhp and the Rover 160 more than 160 bhp V6 and the 180 is the same as the 160. However these engines have any major jobs on them done by the book and special tools are required for cam belt changes, like all K series they don't suffer fools I have seen one ruined by the bottom sprocket bolt not being tightened to spec. Only real problems with them tend to be leaking thermostat housings and the variable inlet manifolds motors sticking.

140 bhp 2 litre V6 is a simplified version.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 19/12/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have a ZS180, it's a cracking engine. Goes well and sounds lovely. Doing the belts was a pretty horrible job, but would be infinitely easier with the engine out of the car.

The plastic inlet manifolds and the motors that drive the internal valves are probably the weakest aspect as BT says. New manifolds cost a fortune and as they are (plastic) welded together they are very difficult to take apart and fix (but not impossible apparently).

These don't have any of the head gasket issues that the 4 cylinder engines suffered from*, they have wet liners but a solid deck unlike the very open deck on the K4.

*Apart from the early versions fitted to the Rover 800, these were pretty terrible.

scootz

posted on 19/12/11 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

I've found a reference on the internet suggesting that the engine is 155kg fully dressed. Does that sound about right!?

[Edited on 19/12/11 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

mikemph
Contributor

Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 powered Haynes Roadster and MK Indy zetec turbo

posted on 20/12/11 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Yep sounds about right 1400 k i belive is around 100kg
big_wasa

posted on 20/12/11 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I also have a 180 as my tin top. Cheap to get 200bhp very dear to get more.

Have a look on you tube for a kv6 hill climb car. That sould get you exited.

MikeCapon

posted on 20/12/11 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Here you go Scootz...

Link thingy

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 20/12/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mike... unfortunately the YouTube links in that thread are now 'private'

It's Evolution Baby!

CNHSS1

posted on 20/12/11 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
QED did a fair bit of the hillclimb developmements http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop

Tom New of New Techniques, has fitted them to his own and customers race cars.
Graeme Wight Junior of GW Racing has fitted them to westfields/Dax 7 types.

Uber light, about 90kg all up from memory. as has been said, not really open to abuse by muppets, but a cracking engine, i always thought it would be great with a low pressure pair of turbos or a blower?

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

stevebubs

posted on 20/12/11 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
KV6...Lovely engines...not as flimsy as the inline 4...my Dad's is (I think) just over 150k with no issues whatsoever so far....

Make sure you get one from a ZT or 75; the version that was in the runout 800s is allegedly worse for reliability than the 4 pot...

stevebubs

posted on 20/12/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Available Supercharged "down under"

http://www.75andztclub.com/showthread.php?p=4243132

britishtrident

posted on 20/12/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
KV6...Lovely engines...not as flimsy as the inline 4...my Dad's is (I think) just over 150k with no issues whatsoever so far....

Make sure you get one from a ZT or 75; the version that was in the run out 800s is allegedly worse for reliability than the 4 pot...

The 800 version was really almost a completely different simpler less powerful engine engine, the dreadful head gasket problems on the 800 KV6 were down to liner heights and head gasket material, and when they factory re-worked the engines and fitted the multi layer gaskets the problem was largely sorted.

The KV6 in the the 75/ZT had the multi-layer gasket from engine number 1 but it was only after production stopped that the multi-layer gasket became available for the 4 cylinder. The 4 and the V6 are really the same open deck wet liner design and the KV6 head is based on the 3/4 of VVC head.

[Edited on 20/12/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

big_wasa

posted on 20/12/11 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
http://youtu.be/CRdl6DG6-4s

Whats your plan Scott ? Most people who want big power out of these ditch the kv6 and fit a turbo four pot.

scootz

posted on 20/12/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Whats your plan Scott? Most people who want big power out of these ditch the KV6 and fit a turbo four pot.

I've sold the RV8 and auto-box out of the F27 and want to rebuild it with a lightweight V6.

I was going to put a 350Z engine / box in there, but there are two drawbacks... firstly, it's a 240kg combo (a LOT of that is the gearbox!) and secondly, the big power (300bhp) would mean having to spend serious cash on upgrading the rear axle (Cortina).

I then looked at the Alfa V6's and despite the most glorious sound, it turns out that they're even heavier buggers and there's no quick-fix rwd gearbox solution. So more £££££'s!

The last two on the list were KL-DE v KV6.

I couldn't find anything untoward about the KL-DE, but found that the KV6 trumped it in just about everything but physical size. Furthermore, the KV6 can bolt right up to a Type 9 using an off-the-shelf bellhousing.

So I'm thinking of a KV6 on an aftermarket ECU and Triumph bike TB's, and a Type 9 with alloy case. SHOULD see 220bhp, an all-in drivetrain weight of 140-ish kg, sensible financial outlay and the rear axle will only need 'breathed' on.

That's as far as the plan goes today... expect it to change full circle by the end of the week!

It's Evolution Baby!

CNHSS1

posted on 20/12/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
whilst the kV6 wont give the power necessarily of a turbo 4 pot (and im a big fan of turbo 4 pots!! ), its shorter, much much lighter than an iron block trubo 4 pot, doesnt need a honking great heavy turbo manifold, turbo, intercooler, is much easier to 'package' as they say too. Gives nice progressive power delivery over a wider rpm range, as opposed to near vertical torque curve when a turbo 4 pot comes on boost, for 2k-3k power band if you are very lucky, so the delivery is much more suited to a very lightweight car. In hillclimb circles, putting the power down is much more important than pub numbers as is the lack of weight. On paper the blown 4 pot wins with the numbers, but on the clock given the same peak hp figure a V6 pwer delivery would be long gone imho, especially as its liklely to be 50-100kg lighter all up (all turbo gubbins included).

Ive seen plenty of cossie powered 7 types struggle, sledgehammer and walnut come to mind. Great fun on the road or trackday where the stop watch isnt king though.

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

big_wasa

posted on 20/12/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

That's as far as the plan goes today... expect it to change full circle by the end of the week!

I love the engine. At the moment the zs is at rock bottom with 01 an 02 mk1's selling for sub £500 with an mot and a face lift mk 2 on an 05 can be had for £1500

Buy well and you could break the car and get a free engine.

180 front and rear brakes sell well if there good. Fit some Honda civics.

Exhaust would sell well if after market.

Alloy wheels are 17" and fit some Honda's vauxhall's ect. Mk2 alloys fetch £350 + in good nick

scootz

posted on 20/12/11 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys... I hadn't realised that whole Rover / MG cars were so bloomin cheap (although I think the missus would kill me if she had to put up with a car-carcass lying around waiting for the bits to sell).

It's Evolution Baby!

big_wasa

posted on 20/12/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
2003 MG ZS + 180, 2.5 V6 Silver | eBay

low mile for age.

2004 MG ZS 180 BLACK SALOON 54 PLATE | eBay

This one would have easy broken for a profit and a free engine.

I passed on an 02 in the summer for £300 They make great track day cars.

mine

stevebubs

posted on 20/12/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Whats your plan Scott? Most people who want big power out of these ditch the KV6 and fit a turbo four pot.

I've sold the RV8 and auto-box out of the F27 and want to rebuild it with a lightweight V6.

I was going to put a 350Z engine / box in there, but there are two drawbacks... firstly, it's a 240kg combo (a LOT of that is the gearbox!) and secondly, the big power (300bhp) would mean having to spend serious cash on upgrading the rear axle (Cortina).

I then looked at the Alfa V6's and despite the most glorious sound, it turns out that they're even heavier buggers and there's no quick-fix rwd gearbox solution. So more £££££'s!

The last two on the list were KL-DE v KV6.

I couldn't find anything untoward about the KL-DE, but found that the KV6 trumped it in just about everything but physical size. Furthermore, the KV6 can bolt right up to a Type 9 using an off-the-shelf bellhousing.

So I'm thinking of a KV6 on an aftermarket ECU and Triumph bike TB's, and a Type 9 with alloy case. SHOULD see 220bhp, an all-in drivetrain weight of 140-ish kg, sensible financial outlay and the rear axle will only need 'breathed' on.

Speak to Claire on the KL..probably going to be an easier route...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.