Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Breakdown cover reccommendations
r1_pete

posted on 21/12/11 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Breakdown cover reccommendations

Hi all,

Any reccommendations for breakdown cover? I went with AA last year because I got £60 cashback on the £105 premium, now they've sent a renewal for £130, which I think is expensive for something I've never used, was thinking about trying Green Flag, hopefully will never need it, main thing I need is UK recovery back to Mitsubishi or Lexus.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
amalyos

posted on 21/12/11 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at all of them and ended up with Green Flag. I needed cover for recovering the car on the trailer as well.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/12/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Just got a years full breakdown on the family car, including european, for £60, plus quidco cashback.

Have a look on the cashback sites, most of the suppliers use the same companies anyway.

EDIT rescuemycar I think, £65 plus 12% cashback....

[Edited on 21/12/11 by cliftyhanger]

Tatey

posted on 21/12/11 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Ring up the AA and say you want to cancel and haggle, I did it this morning with the RAC and it's suprising what you can get. They sent me a renewal quote for £132 for breakdown cover with at home, onward travel and tow home. I rang up said it was too much and I want to cancel as the AA was offering breakdown cover with at home and tow home for £65 a year (they weren't, it was just a figure I pulled out of the air that I'd be happy to pay), after a few offers they finally got it down to the £65 a year.

[Edited on 21/12/11 by Tatey]

ReMan

posted on 21/12/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
http://breakdown.insurancechoice.co.uk/
these are cheap enough, as suppplied by my insurers

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

mookaloid

posted on 21/12/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I like the RAC because it covers the member what ever car the member is in not just the car - even if the member isn't the driver.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mcerd1

posted on 21/12/11 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I like the RAC because it covers the member what ever car the member is in not just the car - even if the member isn't the driver.

they do a 'one car only' one too if your on a tight budget, but I think thats a tow to the nearest garage only one....

RAC were really good when I had to call them out for an imobiliser fault on a van I'd borrowed to pick up my dax

If they can't fix it at the side of the road I've got a cover from them that'll lets me transport a car from anywhere in the uk to anywhere in the uk that I specify
and that covers me even when I'm a passenger in someone else’s car

new customers and old customers who threaten to cancel always get the best deals on everything these days (insurance, breakdown, phones......)
its a bit of a PITA, but normaly well worth it
(just saved £130 on the house insurance by theatening to go else where )

[Edited on 21/12/2011 by mcerd1]

-

Toprivetguns

posted on 21/12/11 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I got full RAC cover including european cover, homestart and breakdown assistance/tow home all through my barclays additions account. Also mobile phone cover and worldwide travel insurance for £14 a month.

Best thing is if you wish to cancel early, there is no redemption charge with your bank.

This best suited me. Goodluck !

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Snuggs

posted on 21/12/11 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
I got full RAC cover including european cover, homestart and breakdown assistance/tow home all through my barclays additions account. Also mobile phone cover and worldwide travel insurance for £14 a month.

Best thing is if you wish to cancel early, there is no redemption charge with your bank.

This best suited me. Goodluck !

+1

Called breakdown service out a number of times for tintop and kitcar, also claimed on travel insurance twice and never hand any problems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

andrew.carwithen

posted on 21/12/11 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Britannia Rescue (through the CSMA) which gives full personal cover for both the wife and I (so covers other cars we are in as well as our own) for less than £100 per annum.
I have also found their service excellent on the odd occasion I had to use them (including when I needed recovery for the Tiger once! )

T66

posted on 21/12/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on Quidco for cover, then compare it to the RAC/AA/Green Flag website etc.

I arranged cover at a good discount, but then didnt get it as I had paid the balance to the RAC monthly, but if you pay upfront it made a big difference to the premium.

redscamp

posted on 21/12/11 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
ask about their policy on miss-fueling,the AA only gives a limited distance recovery before you have to chip in.
r1_pete

posted on 22/12/11 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll do some surfing, RAC and Green Flag ar looking promising.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 22/12/11 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I've been with Britannia for over 15 years and used them plenty of times. I have one 'named' vehicle on cover so whoever is driving it is covered. I also have personal cover for myself and swmbo, so we're covered for any vehicle we're driving or passengers in. Highly recommended.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Dingz

posted on 22/12/11 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I took out tin top insurance with the AA early this year as they were one of the cheapest and got free basic breakdown cover! it wasn't much more to have the cover extended for the wife, well her car anyway

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

britishtrident

posted on 23/12/11 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
I took out tin top insurance with the AA early this year as they were one of the cheapest and got free basic breakdown cover! it wasn't much more to have the cover extended for the wife, well her car anyway

Wait till the renewal comes in the price will rocket.

Green Flag gives very good quick and genuinely helpful service for 1/3 the price.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

eddie99

posted on 23/12/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
We're on a family AA cover, £100 a year ish.... Unfortunately had them out twice this year but atleast i've got my moneys worth...
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.