Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Working at camp america
wombat

posted on 14/4/12 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Working at camp america

My son is going through the application process to work in the states for 9 weeks this summer. Just wondered if any of you had experience of the same?
Coopz

posted on 14/4/12 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine did this last year, he loved it and would really like to do it again. He was coaching football.
big-vee-twin

posted on 14/4/12 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
My Daughter went to Fiji for 3 months with Think Pacific and built a school in a remote village.

She lived throughout this time in a 'mud hut' and showered in cold water with a bucket.

When they wanted food they jumped in a boat and went fishing.

During her stay she was adopted by a local family who insisted she called them mum and Dad.

She had a life changing experience.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

BigGeoff

posted on 14/4/12 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Did this myself (Camp America that is) way back in 1986 and then again 1987 - best two summers of my life. Have a few friends with kids in their mid twenties who did Camp America and they all loved it. My daughter is planning on it when she finishes Uni.

My advice would be to make plans to travel after camp - there used to be good deals on the buses out there - used to be Greyhound, but I think that's changed - internal flights used to be good value also. Make lots of contacts with counsellors and parents - there will be lots of offers of accommodation when travelling. In 4 weeks of travelling I only paid for three nights of accommodation.

There are often lots of staff from other countries also as the Americans like to have a good mix of staff as it "enhances" the camp experience for their children. Again make as many contacts as possible - networking in the modern world is so important.

Above all go with an open mind and embrace the experience.

[Edited on 14/4/12 by BigGeoff]

imagineer

posted on 14/4/12 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I did it aged 19, amazing experience.

Spent a month travelling coast-to-coast after camp - some of my best memories ...

(American's love the English accent, you can't go wrong ... unless you walk around Harlem at 3am; not one of my fondest memories but a great yarn none the less.)

D Beddows

posted on 14/4/12 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
My eldest step daughter is going this summer (3 months without her hurrah!!!! ) she's made a right c*ck up of it if you ask me - she was terrified she wouldn't get anywhere so lied that she was a yoga expert (never done it until she got a place) and ended up at a strictly Jewish camp in Ohio somewhere (not entirely sure she's ever even met a Jewish person......) BUT it will be an experience for her! The application process is a right faff though isn't it!

When I went to university the 1st time 4 or 5 lads on my course went every summer and had an outstanding time by all accounts!!

twybrow

posted on 14/4/12 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Wombat - a serious word of caution from someone who has done this - me!

Camp America is effectively an agency. Don't let them take their cut - instead, apply direct to the camps. I earned 3 times more than my camp America mates doing the same job. I worked at Camp Winaukee, in New Hampshire, and it was amazing. My own 5.7 v8 speed boat to drive the kids around the 27 mile long lake - awesome times. I am happy to give you a cottact name if you need it....

imagineer

posted on 14/4/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Quick 'heads-up' - the US is a litigious society, they sue at the drop of a hat.

Not a direct problem when you work at camp, but you do have your hands tied when it comes to using comon sense - they have strict rules about working with kids; you definitely can't slap them - no matter how much they deserve it, and you can't show them any physical affection - no matter how upset or homesick they are (and simply need a hug to make it all better).

Medicating kids is 'normal' in the US, you'd be shocked to see the long line of kids at the nurses' cabin every morning; the quiet kids on uppers to encourage them to bounce of the walls, and the kids that are full of beans on downers to keep them in line.

Most Amercians don't have a passport - and think that travelling to another State is adventurous.
They suffix all places in Europe with the country, when in conversation; Paris - France, London - England, etc.
Your son will be shocked at the narrow horizons possessed by the average US teenager (but it does make them easy to wind-up and they generally believe anything said with an English accent).

I lost count of the number of times I was asked if I 'knew the Queen'.

They don't get sarcasm, goes clean over their heads.

D Beddows

posted on 14/4/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
My step daughter should fit in quite well then

lack of basic common sense - check

failure to comprehend basic sarcasm and irony - check

traveling anywhere outside home town (never mind county) a major adventure - check

inability to think for yourself - check

I'm being flippant I know but I've found it's sadly a mistake to overestimate the capabilities of the average modern teenager Her biggest challenge I suspect is going to be separated from Facebook and her list of 500 friends she doesn't really know for prolonged periods of time.......

[Edited on 14/4/12 by D Beddows]

scudderfish

posted on 14/4/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Completely off topic, it's where my username comes from When I was a student, a previous occupant of the house I was living in had done it. They got some post detailing what had happened to others who had done it. Being nosey buggers we opened it. Two previous workers had the memorable names Scudder Fish and Ickey Spear. As my real name (Dave Smith) is so common, and usually already taken online, I picked 'scudderfish' as a more uncommon one to use.
bobinspain

posted on 14/4/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Completely off topic, it's where my username comes from When I was a student, a previous occupant of the house I was living in had done it. They got some post detailing what had happened to others who had done it. Being nosey buggers we opened it. Two previous workers had the memorable names Scudder Fish and Ickey Spear. As my real name (Dave Smith) is so common, and usually already taken online, I picked 'scudderfish' as a more uncommon one to use.

Good tale. (puerile, by the way).

[Edited on 14/4/12 by bobinspain]

wombat

posted on 5/6/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well he now has accepted a placement and flies out of Heathrow to Boston next Friday!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.