Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oulton Park Review, and Video Footage at www.desandalracing.com
efairba1

posted on 9/9/04 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Oulton Park Review, and Video Footage at www.desandalracing.com

The usual review, pictures, and video footage availible at

www.desandalracing.com

Enjoy.

Des

--------------------------------
www.desandalracing.com

EKroth

posted on 10/9/04 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Nice race, guys!
Scary tank slapper ~11:35
...makes me want one, too.

DickieB

posted on 15/9/04 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
That wasn't a tank slapper, barely even a sideways moment.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 15/9/04 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Any chance you could put a mirror on so as We can see 'behind' as well, might see a few more cars
Well done though

Jason

DickieB

posted on 17/9/04 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I suggested to Des and Al at Pembrey that they turn the camera around!!! They did, but Al sped off so far into the lead that it was just as boring!
My video would have been great from Oulton, but it must have got knocked, cos all I got was 20 mins of my bonnet and nosecone - gutted.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 17/9/04 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you bolt it on properly next time then or we'll ban you from the site !!

Jason

DickieB

posted on 17/9/04 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry :-(
Deckman001

posted on 17/9/04 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote

Rob Palin

posted on 17/9/04 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Dickie - my camera caught a fair amount of action at Oulton. Unfortunately it included a hairy moment at Cascades where i lost it and slid parallel to the barrier at fairly high speed.

Check out the picture, i was VERY lucky. The most shocking thing though was that my helmet filled up with mud! It came up through the bottom and covered my eyes so i had to stop to dig my eyes out. How crazy is that?!? Rescued attachment barrier proximity_small.jpg
Rescued attachment barrier proximity_small.jpg

Rob Palin

posted on 17/9/04 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Here's another interesting moment: Martin (far right, white & red car) has spun and everyone tries to avoid him. Matt Cherrington swerves to avoid him but i've got a run on his outside and have to take to the grass in avoidance. I think to go faster i need to spend more time on the tarmac and less on the grass. What do you reckon? Rescued attachment close racing_small.jpg
Rescued attachment close racing_small.jpg

DickieB

posted on 17/9/04 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Rob
Good shots!
I did the parallel to the barriers thing at Cadwell once. Jolly scary, but by the time I stopped sliding, the barrier had stopped, the track had gone through 90 degrees and I was facing the right direction again. Engage gear and off I go! But yes, mud and grass evrywhere!

As for the 2nd photo, 2 bits of advice:
1. Try and stay on the black stuff - it gives better traction. I should know cos Martin then forced me onto the grass later on when going flat out down the back straight. :-(
2. To finish first, first you must finish......

Is this the best quality from your camera? "If" I keep going next year, then I will have to buy a new camera.....
Dickie

woodster

posted on 17/9/04 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Any chance you could put a mirror on so as We can see 'behind' as well, might see a few more cars
Well done though

Jason

top video ....... i think the mirror ideas a good one ....... anychance of a running commentary

Deckman001

posted on 17/9/04 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Great pics guys, keep em comming !!

Jason

Rob Palin

posted on 18/9/04 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Dickie - My barrier-hugging experience was very similar. I slid along the face of it but stopped when i reached the track again at the exit of Cascades so i just carried on, albeit with a brief stop to try and get rid of my unwanted facepack.

I've tried getting more screenshots out of my videos but i've encountered something incredibly wierd. On my home PC if i do a screen grab of the video playing in Media Player i cannot crop the media player bits out of the picture. Bizarrely if i crop the picture it keeps the frame but instead cuts out bits of the image.

It's kind of like the video image is fixed at a certain location on screen and all my cropping does is change the size of the 'porthole' through which i can look at it. You're an IT-savvy guy, how the heck does this work? (please bear in mind it's only started doing this since i installed Windows Service Pack 2...)

p.s I tend to use the medium resolution but higher frame rate on my camera now (352x288 @30fps). I figured i lose the image quality when i compress them anyway.

[Edited on 18/9/04 by Rob Palin]

DickieB

posted on 18/9/04 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry Rob, not that IT savvy - try Des, he seems to be (he's who I ask!)
Love to see a clip at medium 30 fps just to see.....
Dickie

Rob Palin

posted on 18/9/04 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've cut a 5.2Mb chunk out of the video. Is that ok to email, and if so, to which of your addresses?
drmike54

posted on 20/9/04 at 01:56 AM Reply With Quote
Love the Video . I acidently watched it at 2X speed and thought that car is FAST!

Started Welding the chassis!!!!

DickieB

posted on 20/9/04 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Rob
5.2 Mb is fine.
richbrown@dsl.pipex.com
Thanks
Dickie

efairba1

posted on 20/9/04 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Screen Grabs.

Rob,

as you've noticied, you can't do screen grabs from media player! To do grabs you need to use Windows Movie Maker (free with XP)
This has a specific funtion for taking screen grabs.

Des

--------------------------------
www.desandalracing.com

Rob Palin

posted on 20/9/04 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Des

You're rigth there is no specific screen grabbing function within MP so i was just trying to do it 'the old fashioned way' by pausingt he film and pressing Print Screen. What surprised me was that this didn't just dump the display to clipboard as it normally does but actually retained the original video dimensions no matter what i did with the image.

If i paste the image into Word and then resize it by dragging the corners the image of the video stays the same size even though the rest of the picture (the MP window frame, windows taskbar, etc) all scale around it. Making it a quarter of its original size means i have a mini MP window apparently framing a video of part of my rollcage and the sky. Wierd.

I do use XP's movie maker to process the videos but have memory usage problems unless i read in & write out the files (untouched) from Windows Media Editor. For some reason doing that reduces the memory used by 80%!

Dickie - YHM

DickieB

posted on 20/9/04 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Rob, much better quality than the last clip you sent me. Nice overtaking move on Stuart - you shouldn't have let him overtale you again though! Have you uploaded the full race somewhere so we can watch it?
Dickie

Rob Palin

posted on 20/9/04 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't really let Stuart re-take me, he just seemed to have an awful lot more speed coming up that hill. I think i'm going to have to put a lot more time into my engine over the winter. Mine & Martin's cars were tested on the same dyno and he has 13bhp more than me but he says he still gets left behind on the straights! Plus i'll finally get hold of that 4.1 diff i've been blithering about for so long.

I haven't got any webspace for hosting my videos but i'll look into it. Not sure if people will really want to watch 'the view from the back' but at least you get to see other cars on mine - Des & Al just disappear off into the distance nowadays and it might as well be a guided tour of the circuit. Only kidding guys

[Edited on 20/9/04 by Rob Palin]

DickieB

posted on 4/10/04 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Rob
Can you bring the leads with you to Snetterton, so that I can play it back on TV and have a look - I have a mate coming with a motorhome!!!!!
Thanks
Dickie

Rob Palin

posted on 4/10/04 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
No problem. Does the TV have composite input terminals? If so the camera will plug straight in. Otherwise we may have to use the USB and go via a laptop or something.

Matt had a laptop with him at Oulton so we tried to download each other's videos (he has a DV5000 too) but his battery ran out.

DickieB

posted on 4/10/04 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I think it has a white plug and a yellow plug socket (or one of them might be red). Other mate coming should have a laptop so I can show my Oz and NZ photos from the summer!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.