Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall Engine fitment - follow on thread
mcg

posted on 30/8/12 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall Engine fitment - follow on thread

Hi Following my previous thread:

Previous thread link

I have been looking to 2.0 redtops. Like anything used on ebay its all a bit tricky to tell if its any good and they seem to be quite sought after. One of the tricky bits (as everyone knows) is proving engine age, so I am really trying to find something with a V5 I can use.

Anyway - whilst I continue to look, I keep coming across V6 variants which I have to say float my boat, and seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the redtop. Can anyone tell me (as before) if the following will 1) Fit in my widebody engine bay, 2) mate to the bellhousing that currently links a type 9 to my 8V 20ne Vaux unit, 3) will match fit the shortened sump from the 8v???

Vauxhall Frontera 3.2 V6 Engine. Engine Code 6VD1 | eBay

Asking alot I know!

Been doing a bit of searching, and a lot off the 2.0 redtops that I have seen show approx 132bhp. The v6 linked to is showing approx 202bhp.

I am sure this is all more complicated than I can see, but please enlighten me if you have any thoughts.

Thanks as always

matt

silky16v

posted on 30/8/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 16v redtop engine where 156bhp standard for the 20xe or 150bhp for the c20xe

on a good engine a set of mid cams and TB and after market management will see your 185bhp+ & 150ft-Ib torque

loggyboy

posted on 30/8/12 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Frontera lump will be no good, its based on an Isuzu unit, not a GM one.

You need a c25XE or C30XE from a cav/cali/omega. they have the standard 'family 2' GM bellhousing bolt pattern. Not sure if the sump will fit, i severely doubt it will as the engine is only 3clys long, not 4!
The c25 has about 175 bhp iirc, so not much over the 2.0 4cy redtop, it also is heavier.

the 136bhp 2.0 16v engine will be the ecotec (x20xev), mainly fitted to post 1994 cars. A largely identical engine but reworked for better emmisions required (thats what the C/X stands for at the beginnning of the engine number).

If you want a v5 then you need to hunt for a bargain donor. They crop up now and then but being so popular for nova/corsa etc converstions they arent always cheap. many years ago the average was 500-600 for an mot failed cav/calibra, but i found one for £200 thru careful and patient hunting.

[Edited on 30-8-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Rip Van Winkle

posted on 31/8/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
The C20XE is an awesome unit, I had one a Nova. Just brilliant, loved it, and I'm not alone, which I think is what drives up the price. A proper red top has an L shaped spark plug cover and will be 150BHP, if it only has 130bhp it will have a straight spark plug cover and be an Ecotec (avoid like the plague if you're going to use the standard sensors / injection set up. Lots of issues)
A C20XE weighs in at 150kg fully dressed ( alternater, starter, etc i.e.as it'd come out of the car).
A C25XE weighs in at 170kg fully dressed and rather neatly makes 170bhp!

If you want a 3.2l 200bhp motor look at Omegas MV6's and Vectra GSi's ( later ones ) These all mate upto the same box pattern.

mcg

posted on 2/9/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Awsome! Great info - I am hunting hard- will probably post up some possibilities for your inputs.

Thanks alot

mcg

posted on 2/9/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
ps. Will an auto donor work? The following is too expensive, but what I mean:

2000 Vauxhall/Opel Omega 3.0i V6 24v Auto MV6 Edn | eBay

Thanks alot

quote:
Originally posted by mcg
Awsome! Great info - I am hunting hard- will probably post up some possibilities for your inputs.

stevebubs

posted on 3/9/12 at 02:56 AM Reply With Quote
How soon are you wanting to move on this?

I have a 2.5v6 Omega of that vintage on my drive....not been on the road in a few years as I have had company cars since 2009...but I start it up and move it on a regular basis. Engine is still sweet....but it's an auto, so you'll still need to source a manual flywheel, box etc..

Been trying to think what to do with it, and have been starting to think it's worth more in bits than as a whole...

for personal reasons, it's going to stay in one piece until Jan/Feb next year, but after that it will be most likely gotten rid of one way or another...

stevebubs

posted on 3/9/12 at 02:58 AM Reply With Quote
PS I believe 3.0 cams fit into the 2.5/2.6 engine and bring the HP up to pretty much the same levels...
mcg

posted on 3/9/12 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hi stevebubs - thanks for the info.

I would like to get this moving straight away so might not be a starter. I was looking for manual cars so that it would be more of a straight forward transplant if possible.

Interesting about the cams. That would be a perfect addition in future.

Main plan is to be able to mate with existing bell housing and type 9 gearbox. If you plan to do anything earlier with your car, then let me know.

Cheers

Matt

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
How soon are you wanting to move on this?

I have a 2.5v6 Omega of that vintage on my drive....not been on the road in a few years as I have had company cars since 2009...but I start it up and move it on a regular basis. Engine is still sweet....but it's an auto, so you'll still need to source a manual flywheel, box etc..

Been trying to think what to do with it, and have been starting to think it's worth more in bits than as a whole...

for personal reasons, it's going to stay in one piece until Jan/Feb next year, but after that it will be most likely gotten rid of one way or another...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.