Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo Question
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 5/9/12 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Turbo Question

Hi all,

Been a while since I started a thread.....

Getting to grips with my new toy (1971 Mini Clubman with a turbo a-series), and i'm having continual issues with the actuator hose 'popping' off.

obviously this can lead to fairly serious issues if it goes unoticed - luckily I blew the head gasket

Anyway, what do you lot recommend to use for the boost hose from turbo to actuator? its on the cold side of the turbo so shouldn't get to hot, but does need to be clampable.

any ideas?

obligatory pic (albeit an an old one. lots of changes since)

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/9/12 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Narrow bore (3 or 4mm) silicone hose with a fuel type jubilee clip on each end works for me. But I only boost to 12psi.
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 5/9/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Matt,

currently only running 10psi, max of maybe 15 in the future, so that should be ok.

Have you had an issues with the tube melting or collapsing under boost?

BaileyPerformance

posted on 5/9/12 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
we use 1/4 injection fuel hose with decent hose clips directly from the turbo compressor to the actuator, never had a problem.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 5/9/12 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys, Didn't think of injection hose. that should hold more than enough pressure.

Ta!

Rip Van Winkle

posted on 5/9/12 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
Thanks Matt,

currently only running 10psi, max of maybe 15 in the future, so that should be ok.

Silicon boost hose, will take all the pressure / heat / chemicals you can throw at it, is also clampable.

Collapse? How will a hose under pressure collapse? The only way it would do so is if your stab in was after the throttle butterfly. If is is bore it will only ever see atmospheric (or very margionally below, but not enough to collapse a hose) or boost at whatever you set your actuator too.

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/9/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr

I also use the same hose to my ECU and the datalogs don't show anything nasty that would indicate collapse of the hose. I see vacuum down to about 23kPa, (bike engine on TB's). All seems fine.

Silicone rubber is used for all sorts of hot stuff (oven gloves for example)

matt_gsxr

posted on 5/9/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
wikipedia suggest silicone rubber is good up to 300degC, so keep it off the hot-side of the turbo but anything else is fine.
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 5/9/12 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
wikipedia suggest silicone rubber is good up to 300degC, so keep it off the hot-side of the turbo but anything else is fine.

Thanks Matt.

will take a ride up to the motor factors and see what they've got.

hobbsy

posted on 5/9/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a bit puzzled by this also, not heard of turbo actuator pipework causing issues before. Intake hoses popping off under boost when not properly secured yes, but not tiny little actuator pipes.
Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 5/9/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
I'm a bit puzzled by this also, not heard of turbo actuator pipework causing issues before. Intake hoses popping off under boost when not properly secured yes, but not tiny little actuator pipes.

Pipe from Turbo to actuator runs the same boost as the other pipework. Under full load it keeps popping off, mainly due to the shoddy pipe the fool before me used!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.