Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tacho pulse from Ford EDIS
johnH20

posted on 28/10/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Tacho pulse from Ford EDIS

I am sure many have done this. I am using an ETB Digidash 2 that calls for a signal from the negative coil terminal. From my Ford TIS I cannot work out which this is. Any advice appreciated.
rb968

posted on 28/10/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
There are some details on the megasquirt manual that might help.

Sorry cant be of more use than that but do need to cross this bridge myself in the next week!

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

Rich

scudderfish

posted on 28/10/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
If it wants a feed from the coil, it's looking from a big spike (IIRC 70+v) which the EDIS doesn't produce. You can rig up a coil simulator by using the coil in a relay, but you end up with a mad buzzing behind the dash that even my V8 couldn't drown out. I ended up swapping my tacho for one that worked with EDIS/ECU rather than coil.
snapper

posted on 29/10/12 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
3 diodes 1 each from the coil pack driver feeds joined to 1 Zener diode which goes to the dash
Megajolt forum autosportslabs has a diagram

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

snapper

posted on 29/10/12 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

old_timbo

posted on 29/10/12 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I needed to drive a Smiths electric rev. counter (ex-Triumph Dolomite) from an EDIS driven by Megasquirt. I tried the diode / zener circuit which worked below about 3500 rpm but dead above. In the end the penny dropped that the PIP signal from the 4 cylinder EDIS is a nice 12vdc square wave at 4 pulses per rev. I was worried that the rev. counter would drag this down and cause other problems but I just T'd into it and everything works fine. Should be able to do the same with the feed to the Digi dash.
johnH20

posted on 7/11/12 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi old-timbo, Finally got round to calling ETB today. Recommendation was to T off either outer wire to EDIS. These look like the connections to the ( std ) ECU ( pins 52 and 26 in my case ). Does this sound correct to you ?. What is PIP?
old_timbo

posted on 7/11/12 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
As Rich advises, take a look at this page in the Megamanual. http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm It has a couple of good diagrams amongst a load of other stuff that gives the info you need. The PIP is on the wire that goes to terminal 1 on the EDIS connector and is Tach in to MS.
johnH20

posted on 8/11/12 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Old-timbo. Many thanks, a very interesting read. I fear I may have misdescribed my problem in my original post. I am using an EEC V ECU and do not have a separate EDIS module ( at least any that I have found yet! ) so I suspect the clever stuff is all done in the EEC. I have 3 wires into my coil pack ( unless that has a brain too ) and is one of these I need
to to take my tacho feed from, I think. Perhaps Wasa or Mad Inventions on here or anyone else using an EEC V could confirm.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.