Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wireless Internet
Hellfire

posted on 16/12/12 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Wireless Internet

I originally had my desktop PC hard wired to my Belkin router and everything worked ok. I now have the PC in another room and need to connect wirelessly. I thought it would be easy to configure but I'm struggling. Any advice would be most appreciated................

Phil

jossey

posted on 16/12/12 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
What seems to be the issue?

Is the router signal going through tons of walls.
Have you install the wireless software at the pc end?
Can u see your wireless in the list?

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locogeoff

First question is what OS are you running, and hardware are you using to connect the wireless?

regards

Geoff

acb2713

I have used the following guide to help me set up a wireless access point onto my existing home wired network. Perhaps this will give you some pointers to help you out.

How to set a Wireless Router as an Access Point

Regards,

Albert

ecosse748

posted on 16/12/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps he cant get on the forum as he is struggling to get wifi but yeah, a bit more info and im sure we can assist
Hellfire

posted on 16/12/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Windows 7. The router is a Belkin and was connected via Ethernet cable. The router is now in the next room so only one wall separates them. When I turn my PC on, I go to 'Start', 'Control Panel', 'network & Internet', 'connect to the internet'. It then comes up with a list of connections and asks if I want to create a new connection or choose an existing connection. There is only one in the list 'broadband connection WAN Miniport (PPPOE)' so I choose existing connection and click 'next'. I then get a box asking for username and password. I'm not sure at this stage what the username and password is, so I use the one I think it is and click 'connect'. It tries to connect and i then get an error message saying 'error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.

Phil

austin man

posted on 16/12/12 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have you ever connected to it wirelessly Phil? when I got my new router I had to hard wire on of the laptops to it and set it up that way then I was able to connect. You need to be 100% sure with the password. sometimes you have to configure the connection again this can only be done whilst connected with the cable My router had the password on a sticker on the router itself along with the connection name

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

locogeoff

posted on 16/12/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I don't have Windows 7 but I'm sure it cannot be too different from vista, when you get the list of networks is there a drop box that says "All" or has the option to select "wireless"

This ma be a two stage process remember at this stage you are connecting to the router and you should only need a wireless key, probably a sticker on the back of the router as has been suggested, the next stage is the router to the internet which should already be done since you can connect OK over Ethernet .

Regards

Geoff

jossey

posted on 16/12/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I know this sounds silly but have you got a wireless card in the pc?

If you have look at the bottom right of the monitor for the wireless icon. Click on that and select your Belkin router ssid.

The settings your messing with are not for wireless.

If your using a wireless dongle there will be a setup cd with it.

My thought is you haven't got wireless on the pc.

[Edited on 16/12/12 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.