Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Worktop joint seal
tegwin

posted on 3/3/13 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
OT: Worktop joint seal

The worktop in my kitchen is starting to show signs of water damage. Its textured laminated chipboard.

There is a joint in the surface near the sink and because I am sharing the house with morons who can't dry up after themselves the surface quite often gets a good soaking.

Water is obviously getting into the chipboard at the joint and the laminate is starting to bulge upwards just slightly. Can anyone think of a solution to this? Any moisture curing chemical I can soak the joint with to seal it up?

The damage is not too bad at the moment but I suspect given another year it will start to be rather obvious

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ashg

posted on 3/3/13 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
colour fill. its about £10 a tube in wickes

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

theprisioner

posted on 3/3/13 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
There is a product called Wood Hardner made by Ronseal it will soak into the wood part of the w/t and replace any water that is there as it is water soluable. After a few applications of this, seal the laminate with coloured w/t joint sealer available from B&Q. (I am an Odd Job Man 8 years).
tegwin

posted on 3/3/13 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
colour fill. its about £10 a tube in wickes

I do have a tube of this but there is not really a "crack" to put it into...the pieces are hard up against each other and I fear the colourfill will simply peel off the join pretty quickly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Smoking Frog

posted on 3/3/13 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you can get a replacement (as they get discontinued) I'd be tempted to change it and if possible move the joint further away from the sink. Sometimes it's possible to cut out the damage area and move it in from the end. One idea I just thought of would be to router the joint out all the way through to a width of 3 or 4mm and silicon alloy jointing strip in.

Eddie

acb2713

posted on 3/3/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps this might help?
I have used it on my car windscreen, and it did work as advertised.
Also obtainable online, through Amazon.

macc man

posted on 3/3/13 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
No quick fix.To do it properly you need to recut the joint and bolt together using waterproof pva wood glue. A multi tool would be ideal for this as a jig saw may be hard to use in situ. I bought one from Aldi it cost me £30. Best tool I have in my kit.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.