Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear Shox Mounting
Robster

posted on 7/10/04 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Rear Shox Mounting

Hi guys, a quick question for you that is puzzling me & I can't work out the best (easiest?) way to solve.

How have you attached the bottom mounting for the rear shock absorbers to the axle bracket?

The brackets I have from Stuart Taylor have no obvious mounting point, other than using a long bolt through the top trailing arm mount & also attach the shox to this. I am just a bit worried that it will not be strong enough...

The alternative is to do something as "the book" shows, and weld an additional bracket on the side of the trailing arm axle bracket, and fix the shox to these. Is this necessary?

I'm not sure that this really adds much strength though, which brings me back tu just using a longer bolt...

Any thoughts?

Ta,
Rob.

white130d

posted on 7/10/04 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I built mine "bookish" by using a heavy plate on the top of the axle bracket with a diagonal to support the shock bracket....

Rear shock mount
Rear shock mount

David.

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

dozracing

posted on 7/10/04 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Either way is commonly used and works fine. I somewhat depends on what shocks you will be using. The length of the shock will partly determine where you place it to make sure you get enough travel.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
efairba1

posted on 7/10/04 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the locost race cars have the single long bolt attaching the trailing arm and the shock. I've never heard of one failing.

You will probably need a nice spacer, and take some time to ensure that when you torque the bolt up, it still allows rotation of the shock.

Des

--------------------------------
www.desandalracing.com

white130d

posted on 7/10/04 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Shox

Darren, isn't that a nice looking shock in that picture......(nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean....

David.

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

Robster

posted on 7/10/04 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, I was hoping that someone would be able to enlighten me what some of the grid do (I'm going to Mallory in a couple of weeks to have a nose around & question anyone who looks helpful!), but didn't want to wait till then to check this out.

Thanks & maybe see some of you racers at Mallory,
Rob.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.