Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend me a Dremel...
jps

posted on 15/9/13 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Recommend me a Dremel...

Thought i'd ask here - as some of you guys will have done all the jobs that such a thing is needed for!

Which Dremel and which attachments do I need to get? I'm going to be cutting GRP before too long - which is one of the main uses I can envisage.

HappyFather

posted on 15/9/13 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I have this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-Grinding-Engraving-With-Accessories/dp/B001EX8LRQ

Pure dremel accessories fit on this.

From all the accessories it has, I have used just a couple.

The thing I spend the most is GRP reinforced cutting disks, for ally and GRP. I even had to buy extra "stalks" to hold the disks since the one that came broke on the bolt that holds the disk.
Then, I used a bit the drilling bits, the "diamond powedered tips" and a sanding cylinder.

Nice tool, a lot cheaper (at least here) than the true dremel.

AndyW

posted on 15/9/13 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a JCB rotary tool about 10 years ago, about £20 from argos, including some where near 100 accessories. I used to port 2 stroke engines with it, so it worked hard, still going strong now and that included a few jobs on the kit (although my bodywork is ali).

I just bought decent attachments, cutting wheels, stones etc.

So £20 and ten years later seemed pretty good, although the bearings do make one hell of a noise now

So really up to you, pay a lot and get a decent make, or buy cheap, and take a risk it might not last but consider how much you really will use it.

Just my thoughts!

Mr C

posted on 15/9/13 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
When building my car I used a dremel 4000 mainly with cut off wheels, does what it says on the box. I found I didn't use it as much as I thought. For straight edges I used a minigrinder with a thin cutting disc. I also used a black and decker powerfile for alot of the cutting and finishing, particulary radiusing corners and cutting curves. The Powerfile is a "must have" in my book.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

chaddy44

posted on 15/9/13 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Maplins do a decent cordless rechargable one when i bought mine it was on offer for 14.95 with a small selection of bits :-)
Sloan85

posted on 15/9/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
When I was cutting my GRP panels, I found it easiest to stitch drill the shape with a 3mm drill bit in the Dremel. Then use a diamond cutting disc to remove the shape. Finally use the sanding drum to sand the edges smooth which also worked well for the internal corners.

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

nickm

posted on 16/9/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Multi tools are excellent all rounders for all sorts of jobs but a Black and Decker powerfile is fantastic for GRP.

Be aware its called a powerfile for a reason. It has saved me hours and hours.

Car Builder Solutions sell them as do Machine Mart

Nick M

nickm

posted on 16/9/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Multi tools are excellent all rounders for all sorts of jobs but a Black and Decker powerfile is fantastic for GRP.

Be aware its called a powerfile for a reason. It has saved me hours and hours.

Car Builder Solutions sell them as do Machine Mart

Nick M

Peteff

posted on 16/9/13 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I got my powerfile from an amazon seller for £32 and it's been invaluable.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

FuryRebuild

posted on 17/9/13 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
If you're cutting composites, permagrit do a cutting wheel, which goes through everything opposite like a knife through butter. It s a single piece wheel so there's no faffing changing disks or having slitting wheels break.

Easycomposites.co.uk sell them at a good price.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

jps

posted on 30/9/13 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I'm going to drop into Maplin and pick up one of these on the way home: http://www.maplin.co.uk/variable-speed-rotary-tool-and-172-piece-accessory-set-223105

Looks like i'll be pricing up a powerfile as well though!

Out of interest - how am i likely to get on with trimming up 3mm steel using the rotary tool and the tiny grinding stones that go in it?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.