Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Step by Step Driveshaft Replacement Needed
Jodieshann

posted on 14/1/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Step by Step Driveshaft Replacement Needed

Help - Can someone give me a step by step for replacing my drive shaft please.

I have a basic knowledge of how to do it but could do with a step by step list of jobs to work from. Particularly when it comes to the suspension and hub end and undoing some of the parts to free it up. Don't want to undo anything that's under tension that i shouldn't!

Thanks

jossey

posted on 14/1/14 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have just done this on mine.

Jacked up car
Wheel off
Hand brake on
Remove the split pin
Losen the drive shaft nut.
Unbolted bottom wishbone either end but I choose chassis side.
I was able to rotate the lower wishbone and rotate the rear upright enough to get the drive shaft to cone out of the diff.
If this is not the case for you unbolt the top wishbone and pull slowly. Be careful of the brake lines if they get too tight it stop.
Remove hub nut fully and then it should pull out fine. If it doesn't put the drive shaft nut back on get some wood n give it a tap with a hammer. Big tap maybe....

Good luck.

[Edited on 14/1/14 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thefreak

posted on 14/1/14 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Crack the nut while the car is still on the floor if you can - if it's got a nut on the hub end.
MX5 can be a massive pain for that. Nothing worse than stripping the donor and having nothing to stop the shaft spinning while trying to crack the nut

Jodieshann

posted on 14/1/14 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome guys, thanks for that...just what i was looking for. Sounds like a job for the weekend then!

Cheers

nick205

posted on 14/1/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Pop a container under the diff to catch any oil that might escape from the diff when you pull the shaft out. Probably won't lose any, but it saves cleaning it up off the floor if any does come out.

T66

posted on 14/1/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Buy yourself a copy of a Haynes manual, im not sure what car you have - but if its eg Sierra/MX5 based, a book will help you out a lot as it will have drawings/pics to help you.

matt_gsxr

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
What car? Sierra?

Push in shafts or bolt on shafts? bolt on then unbolt (often difficult to undo), push in shafts are easier they just pull out.

Most Sierras (although not all) have wrong-handed-thread on the big nut on the side where the road wheel turns anticlockwise (passenger side on UK cars).

sdh2903

posted on 14/1/14 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jodie

Jossey has pretty much nailed it. Couple of things to point out with the bmw shafts. The driveshaft nuts are crimped into a recess to stop them coming loose. You will need to tap the crimps out the way before you loosen the nut. Secondly the driveshafts bolt onto the diff (so no oil will escape) with male torx/star headed bolts, there is a proper name for them but I can't remember it. So just check you have the right socket.

Lastly I would loosen off the upper upright bolt rather than the two lower ones if you can as the lower ones are a bit fiddly to get back in.

Jodieshann

posted on 14/1/14 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. As Steve said its BMW driveshafts (he should know as he built it!). I've got the star torx thingy and a new driveshaft so it's game on!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.