Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crank bearing damage
dave_424

posted on 2/10/14 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Crank bearing damage

Hi guys, I had the sump off my turbo ZX9 to look at my busted gearbox and saw there were some small flakes/bits of metal in my sump. I put this down to us destroying 3rd gears engagement dogs so much that it won't stay in gear.

I split the cases to change the gearbox and also wanted to look at the crank bearings, and the pictures below show what I have found.

Basically a couple of the bearings have light to medium scoring and one has two big gouges where it passed through a piece of metal.

I assume that these bearings need to be changed, although 1 or 2 of them look like they are still useable.

My question is, should I also replace the conrod bearings whilst i'm in there as I assume they will show the same damage? The conrod bolts are a one time use deal so don't want to take them out if it's not needed.

I think a new set of bearings and bolts will cost me about £100

All info and advice welcome

MikeRJ

posted on 2/10/14 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
The big ends get fed by oil from the main bearings, so if anything has passed through the mains the chances are very high it's made it's way through the big ends as well.
steve m

posted on 2/10/14 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
if I was to find my bearings in this condition, I would change them in a heart beat

ive even changed bearings with less than a 1000 miles on the clock, if ive had the engine in bits for what ever reason

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

dave_424

posted on 2/10/14 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I think I am going to change them, I've got to look at the top half of the engine casing and my crank to check for the marks left by mr Kawasaki that denotes the size of bearing I should be using. I'll also just mic the journals to see how worn they are but I think I'll just go with the same size bearings that it came out of the factory with.

Anyone know of any Kawasaki dealers that would be able to get my parts? I've got prices from Cornwall Kawasaki or are all the dealers going to have the same prices?

Thanks

Dave

Non custom

posted on 2/10/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Would also think the crank will need a good polish at the very least looking at those shells if nothing else but precaution !!!!
Make sure you get the plastigauge out too

ashg

posted on 2/10/14 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
i have seen much worse, replaced the bearings with crank in situ and had no problems for 30-40k post change.

if your really worried get some 2500grade wet and dry cut a long strip the same width as the crank journal. fold it in the middle abrasive sides facing each other and rub together. clean off with finger then rub some engine oil on the abrasive surface. take the wet and dry and run it round the journals (same kinda motion as drying yourself with a towl) if there is any white metal from the bearings stuck to the crank that will get it off and keep a good surface.

when your done get a can of wd40 with a straw and use it to flush out the oil ways and clean off the crank.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ashg

posted on 2/10/14 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
btw this is what a properly stuffed shell looks like, down to the copper! yours look like normal wear other than the little bits where it picked up. looks like you caught it just in time to be honest! as long as there is still white metal there then the crank shouldn't be damaged

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

dave_424

posted on 2/10/14 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info guys, I'm going to look into ordering new crank and connecting rod bearings. Also the connecting rod bolts are a one time use deal so got to order a new load of them. I think it's more £200 all in, which is slightly annoying since complete engines don't go for much more than that but I've done things to this engine that would be a pain to do to another one.

This engine is in an off road buggy so it only gets used about 10-20 hours a year.

I definitely agree that I've caught it early enough for it to have not done much damage, I'll give the crank a slight polish but it looks fine.

I'll also make sure to flush out all of the oil gallery's in the crank and block etc.

ashg

posted on 2/10/14 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
tbh if you only run it 10-20 hrs a year then there is still plenty of life in those bearings lol. may as well replace them now you have it in bits though.

Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

obr_technology

posted on 1/11/14 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if this is of any use but I plan to use these guys for spares:

https://www.kawasakimotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/epc2.asp?modelid=7418&pageid=4569&m=kawasaki%20zx9r%20c1%20crankshaft&uID=0

dave_424

posted on 1/11/14 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I had seen that website, Cornwall kawasaki seemed cheaper, just Google them.

I brought another set of casings, crank and connecting rods. That included some bearings from a bike with 16k miles. All rebuilt now and running good, now I need to take it for a drive to see if the gearbox is fixed since that that was the initial problem haha

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.