Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car in Pieces - Anyone in worse state?
DickieB

posted on 7/2/05 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Car in Pieces - Anyone in worse state?

OK, I've stripped out the wiring loom, and only partially fitted the new one.
I've stripped out the old seat and not fitted a new one yet
I've taken out and apart the engine, and only partially rebuilt it
The gearbox has been rebuilt and awaits refitting
The diff has been rebuilt but not yet fitted
I've thrown away the old dash, but not completed the new one

Anyone in a worse position (to cheer me up) ?
Dickie

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 7/2/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Well, ive got a chassis, a body, a pedal box and some rivets !!! Oh, and a pile of rusty donor parts....
Skint for the mo so am having trouble even starting the build !
Make ya feel any better ????????

DickieB

posted on 7/2/05 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Only if your first race is 20 Mar and you have to get the car run in by then as well!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GazzaP

posted on 7/2/05 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to say but mine is now 99% finished and ive got my entry in for the races starting on the 20th march got the rear fuel tank cover to go any idea's on how to make this i've got loads of bits of ally left was going to use that.??
richijenkin

posted on 7/2/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I took the engine out to fit a new one, ended up taking everything out, pannels off, even the brake lines... it was at that point I thought....Oh dear, what have I done.

I.S.M

posted on 7/2/05 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
aint even started taking mine apart yet dickie so chill.

Jamie Robinson
ARDS Circuit Driving Instruction
www.jamie-robinson.com

Hellfire

posted on 7/2/05 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding our progress.... enough said!

It's on the website!

DickieB

posted on 7/2/05 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
GazzaP - yep a bit of ali with some clips to hold it in place

ISM - but you have a team behind you (PK), and you're a student with all the time in the world (PS How did the exams go? )

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

I.S.M

posted on 7/2/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the time is consumed by banter. Not much to do on my car really - new look mmmmm aesthetics, least if it doesnt go fast it ll look the daddy.

Exams went well thank you. I trust the karting was a success?

Jamie Robinson
www.jamie-robinson.com

DickieB

posted on 7/2/05 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Karting was great fun - we started a minute after everyone else! Nick went out on the parade lap and one of the engines stalled. By the time he came into the pits and got it re-started, the rest were miles away. Quite pleased to finish 7th out of 19 in the end !!!!

I didn't even bother listing the aesthetic improvements needed! Can't see me getting around to them, but I really hope to paint the roll bar if nothign else......

greggors84

posted on 7/2/05 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I.S.M - From looking the pics on your website, i see you were at whilton mill on saturday for the BUKC test. I went to the morning session, so luckily got some dry track before it started raining. Was my first go in a 2 stroke, loved it! Was a bit sketchy in the wet on slicks though! Hopefully doing the 3 saturday races, i went to watch the last 2 rounds at clay last year to cheer brookes in and (try) to organise pit stops.

What uni you at?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

I.S.M

posted on 7/2/05 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i was there. I ve had a 1 year sbatical from BUKC and tried to help will/tom get BUSA affiliation - no avail for this year. I am at nottingham university (i.e. the university of....... rather than the poly)

On my site who is the brookes lad behind me (No.1) in one of the pictures - we had a good battle. He never made it past, but it continued for a fair few laps.

I am registered as Jamie on the bukc forum btw.

What do you make of the bukc. The banter is good, and most of the guys are good lads/lasses. The 2 strokes i have to say that club100 provided and will be for this season are the best i ve known.

Pressumabley ou know the infamous craig dawson?

Jamie Robinson
www.jamie-robinson.com

greggors84

posted on 9/2/05 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Haha, Craig and his infamous clipboard! I actually get on with him really well, but he gets on some people tits.

I think BUKC is really well done, its my first season racing, but i followed it last year as i missed the tests so couldnt race. Everyone seems to get on pretty well with each other, there is always a bit of healthy competiveness! I thought the karts were very good at the weekend, i guess an advatage of being the first to use them. I went down to clay for the last round, we went down thursday night and camped, was a really good day on the friday. As im working this year, i can only really make the Saturday races, so ill be at the Wilton races a week on sat and the last 2 at clay. Ill be there in my bright red 106 rallye (saying that there was 2 there at the weekend!)

The karter in your pic is Andy Deeks i think. He is the only one in the number 1 kart i dont know very well, his first names Andy anyway, not sure how quick he is, from what ive heard hes pretty good. I know James Gornall set a 44.18 on saturday, but unsure of the rest of the teams times.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

I.S.M

posted on 9/2/05 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I ll come have a word a whilton.

Yeh, craigs a good lad.

Jamie Robinson
www.jamie-robinson.com

DickieB

posted on 12/2/05 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
OK.
Engine, gearbox, axle in.
Dash completed and in.

Loom needs last few bits (attaching to rear lights, fuel pump, and engine senders)
Seat still needs fixing in

Otherwise, almost there! Might even start the engine tomorrow!

Much happier now

robj

posted on 14/2/05 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
winter rebuilds

Been very busy changing my class A kitcar to class B (Zetec pain in the a*^%) ran the engine up for the first time at the weekend, all was well except the engines revs took a long time to die down. Thought this was due to the throttle linkage, removed carbs, checked linkage, replaced carbs fired her up. Then BANG Clatter CUNK. During the removal somehow(I blame my Father, he blames me) a small metalic object found itself in number 4 cylinder. bent valves and only 3 days to go for the dyno test!!! what a great hobbie it is.
I.S.M

posted on 16/2/05 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
good luck to brookes - i am almost certain they will destroy notts but i am looking 4ward to it all the same.......see you chris @ whilton (....bukc banter and wind up is everywhere)

ready for '05. cant wait, hope blow motor -got a new man to build me a contesting engine.

[Edited on 16/2/05 by I.S.M]

[Edited on 16/2/05 by I.S.M]

Jamie Robinson
www.jamie-robinson.com

greggors84

posted on 18/2/05 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
Cant make it to Whilton this weekend, which is really annoying as the only other races I can go to is the last 2 at clay. They should be good fun though.

Edit: Looks like im going now, but might get a drive so will prob be just watching

[Edited on 18/2/05 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

DickieB

posted on 20/2/05 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hooray! Engine started today. Car moves forwards and backwards in gear! Must remember to reconnect rear brake pipes, since it almost stopped in the side of my road car!
Electrics seem a bit hit and mainly miss. Gauges work, but lights are strictly optional!
Dickie

Jon Ison

posted on 20/2/05 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
not locost (RGB) but same start date, i'm all but ready, see you all on the 20th March ?

Testing at Mallory on the 2nd March, anyone else there ?

Rob Palin

posted on 20/2/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to do my damnest to be at Mallory on the 2nd but work may get in the way. You'll be able to recognise me as the blue & black Locost that you'll lap about 20 times each session.

Man i wish i had bike power. ..

GazzaP

posted on 21/2/05 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
I can't get to the march 2nd so i'm at snetterton this sunday and cadwell on march 13th should be fun!
GParkes

posted on 21/2/05 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
I discovered at the weekend that my front and rear wheels don't appear to line up correctly. My right front is wider than the rear, and the left front is narrower, so the back appears to be offset slightly to the right, and thats with a half inch spacer on each rear wheel!

I've done some crude measurements and it looks like the axle is in the centre otherwise the diff wouldn't fit. The wishbones did appear to differ slightly in length but it was the left one that appeared longer when you would think it would be the other way round given the above.

The book doesn't have a drawing showing this area. I am assuming that the back should be wider than the front, or at least the same width. Does anyone have any knowledge in this area? I was intending to do some more thorough investigation this weekend.

Thanks

Gavin

DickieB

posted on 21/2/05 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
From memory, if the diff is in the centre, it shouldn't be! And the front is wider than the rear. But I'm at work, so can't confirm this.....
GParkes

posted on 25/2/05 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dickie

I'll start by looking at why the left front is narrower than the rear!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.