Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall engine age
chriscook

posted on 16/3/05 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall engine age

Has anyone here sva'd a car with a Vauxhall XE engine? I'm struggling to get documentation to prove the age of my engine which i'll need when i go for sva.

I tried vauxhall through various numbers and kept getting told they cannot provide a build date from the engine number only the VIN or reg number. I then asked Martin Bell at KitCarWorkshop and they got a letter from haynes when svaing their fury. So I wrote to Haynes but today I got a letter back saying that vauxhall "has not released build date information for engines" Perhaps Martin's engine was a 20XE rather than a C20XE which mine is?

Can anyone ses a way around this? Other than buying an old enough car and either putting engine from old car into my phoenix, or putting my phoenix engine number onto the v5 from the old car then changing it back after sva.

Thanks,
Chris

Ben_Copeland

posted on 16/3/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got the VIN number???

I have a vauxhall program that looks them up.

Sorry. unsure if you meant you had it or not

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

chriscook

posted on 16/3/05 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I only bought an engine and therefore don't have a VIN number - hence the trouble..
Ben_Copeland

posted on 16/3/05 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the engine number? and any idea what it came out of at all?

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

chriscook

posted on 16/3/05 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ben
u2u sent.

ta,
Chris

ned

posted on 16/3/05 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested to find the answer to this a I'll have the same problem. I also need to make sure i use the correct age block/engine number as I have a few, I'm sure using an early engine number and cross referencing this with vauxhall's parts catalogue can provide a cut off date for the engine as parts changed on a certain engine number. Whether you can get a letter from vauxhall to this effect is another thing.

NS Dev mentioned that you could get a letter from vauxhall, but that it costs 50 pounds?!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chriscook

posted on 16/3/05 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
I tried phoning the number that was posted on here - it was the same guy that was named in the post but he said he they couldn't trace the age from the engine number

ned - I'm going to ask haynes if they can confirm different dates for a 20XE. I'll let you know what they say.

ned

posted on 16/3/05 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
thanks chris, that'd be great.

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 17/3/05 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
that would be great, cos that's just given me the same problem (although I can choose from a 20XE or a C20XE!!) as I thought ringing that chap at Vauxhall would do the trick.

Thinking about it, plenty in the Westy owners club have rung him with just engine numbers and had no problems.

bazwaz

posted on 17/3/05 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
If all else fails is it not possible to obtain an old Astra or cavalier with a v5 and send it of to the dvla with details of the "new" engine number and therefore end up with a v5 with a date. Or am i tallking rubbish.
NS Dev

posted on 22/3/05 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
anybody had any Joy with Vauxhall for an age letter?
ned

posted on 22/3/05 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
i checked the block i'm planning on using, so i might go and see if my local dealer/parts can help me out with a letter stating that the 20xe engine code was only made until such and such a date..

Will be thurs before i get a chance. will let you know how i get on..

Ned.

NS Dev

posted on 22/3/05 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
That'd be great to know Ned, could use one too!
ned

posted on 22/3/05 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
thinking about it, surely the haynes manual would state this information? will have a read of that later too. though whether the sva man will accept it would be the issue imho.

Ned.

NS Dev

posted on 22/3/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have now found, amongst a pile of old papers, the logbook for the astra that my 20XE engine came out of. I think the owner left it in the car (which otherwise was missing interior and fit for scrap!) when I took it. I never sent it off, so can I just take this with me to the SVA test? It's not in my name but it has the engine number, VIN number, date of first reg and is declared new at first reg?
chriscook

posted on 22/3/05 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Having failed at getting anywhere with vauxhall last week I decided to email the same guy i phoned. It turns out that this week he can do it!!! But the fee has gone up to an extortionate £75.

I have tried every other way of finding out (DVLA, VOSA, HPI, Local vauxhall place, Haynes) and no one else can help.

If you have a 20XE just phone haynes technical services (I spoke to a guy called Trevor Eastman 01963 440635). He can provide a letter giving what years the engine was produced. As long as it doesn't overlap august 1995 you should be fine for sva.

If its a C20XE then you basically need the v5 or an expensive letter from Vauxhall. If you know the VIN number you might get somewhere with vauxhall customer services as they can search on the VIN (or reg no i think)

So I either need to find another engine, collect it, clean it up, fit rod bolts, move over sump etc etc or pay the £75. SInce i want to get the car running for the summer i think i've just got to cough up and save the hassle as much as it pains me to do it.

Chris

ned

posted on 23/3/05 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Heaven forbid anyone actually try it, but for a car for track only use surely you could restamp the engine number for an older 20xe code?

there are/have been plenty of blocks about with rods out the side, so finding one that won't ever be used again to 'borrow' the number off shouldn't be too hard.

Ned.

chriscook

posted on 23/3/05 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
If it was fro track only I wouldn't bother with SVA and i'd have no problem. I have considered it but my conscience is getting the better of me at the moment....
billy

posted on 24/3/05 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
you could always cheat like i did.....shhhh. sorry i cant say but it worked

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

ned

posted on 25/3/05 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
what, register the vauxhall engine number in the sierra v5, leave the spark plug cover off and hope they don't notice? if they do tell them its a zetec transplant and hope they believe you or can't spot the difference?

Ned.

billy

posted on 25/3/05 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
lol, i did think of that one ned but me and Mr.g thought it wouldnt work

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.