Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: un-answerable question?
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
un-answerable question?

as i understand things, an object has a particular colour because it absorbs the light and only reflects back a particular wave length. e.g. an orange absorbs all wavelengths apart from orange wavelength light, which it reflect back making the object appear orange coloured

So does this mean that when there is no light, nothing has colour?

[Edited on 15/1/07 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

tegwin

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
If there is no light you wont be able to see it so it cant, by your deffinition, have colour....

It will still be coloured though....

JoelP

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
colour is a human perception. Hence in the absence of light, an object has properties that would give it the appearance of colour if it was illuminated, however an object doesnt have 'colour' as such anyway.
David Jenkins

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
It will still be coloured though....

Or, to be precise, it will still have those physical properties that make it orange when the light is shining on it.

David Jenkins

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
And the other question is - is the colour that I see as orange seen exactly the same way by other people?

macnab

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Really colour has no meaning without light…

Why on earth are you asking this?????

BenB

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Truly unanswerable.... bit like

-Schrodinger's cat?

or

-"If a tree falls in the forest and there is nobody around does it make a sound?"

or my girlfriend's favorite

"If a man is alone in a forest and says something, if there's no woman around to hear it is he still wrong?"

although I prefer Voltaire's
"all the reasoning of a man cannot outweigh a single feeling of a woman"

[Edited on 15/1/07 by BenB]

02GF74

that is too simplistic.

there is no such fundamental thing as colour, it is not lying out there to be discovered but colour is something used by humans to describe what we see around us.

we cannot ever know that what one person sees as orange is seen as another colour (again colour are arbitrary terms) or not. people who are colour blind will get collurs wrong..

also there is more than visible light, IR, UV etc: and an object can do the same things, absrob ort not, light in those frequencies so has another "colour" for those eyes or devices that can detect the frequencies.

but to answer your question using your terms, the object still has colour just that there is no light in which to see it.

A way to think about it, is your locost a diffefrent colour when you trun off the garage light? (I suppose you could claim it is since you cannot see it). but it still has a cololur, unfortuanltey you don't know what that colour is.

macnab

don't tell me you into quantum physics as well

tegwin

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a good question...

How would you describe a colour to a blind person?

And you are right...chances are what you percieve as blue isnt what I see atall...

JoelP

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
schrodingers cat is widely misunderstood. When he first proposed the idea, it was to illuminate a concept in quantum physics. He did it more to be difficult. He never intended it to be taken seriously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat

as einstein wrote to schrodinger:

quote:
Nobody really doubts that the presence or absence of the cat is something independent of the act of observation.

[Edited on 15/1/07 by JoelP]

macnab

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Would there be any point. I doubt they could really grasp the concept in their head.

Real question is when a bind person thinks of something say an object, how does it appear in their head??

BenB

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Quantum physics doesn't work. Neither do complex numbers Well, not in my brain anyway..... Nothing that can't be explained......

Young's double-slit experiment- just a fluke.....
Complementarity Principle- plain crazy......

I can feel my neurones oozing out of my ears already....

macnab

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
It does have some meaning regarding how partials behave when faced with a choice of outcomes like in the slit experiments. All comes down to the old wave particle duality problem.

macnab

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Which to be honest isn’t a problem at all. Just a misinterpretation of what’s happening.

Forget particles, there's no such thing

[Edited on 15/1/07 by macnab]

Hellfire

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Colour is a generic term for frequency we can see... hearing is a generic term for frequency we can hear.

Therefore, we cannot see or hear anything. We measure the comparible frequencies against each other using comparibly simple receptors. We dont just sense sound using our ear canal and cavities, nor do we just see things through our eyes. We have rudimentary senses that combine all five (some say six) senses. Therefore depending upon how good our receptors are gives us a different picture of what we are sensing, be it sound our vision.

Of course we all hear and see differently. So how do we compare smell...??

Steve

Wadders

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
We don't actually 'smell' anything, we taste it.

Think about that next time you enter the sh#thouse

Originally posted by Hellfire
Colour is a generic term for frequency we can see... hearing is a generic term for frequency we can hear.

Therefore, we cannot see or hear anything. We measure the comparible frequencies against each other using comparibly simple receptors. We dont just sense sound using our ear canal and cavities, nor do we just see things through our eyes. We have rudimentary senses that combine all five (some say six) senses. Therefore depending upon how good our receptors are gives us a different picture of what we are sensing, be it sound our vision.

Of course we all hear and see differently. So how do we compare smell...??

Steve

[Edited on 15/1/07 by Wadders]

jlparsons

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Or more importantly;
If a man says something in a forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

BenB

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Surely explaining a colour to a blind person is not so difficult. You're only explaining your perception of the occurance to that person ie what response that colour creates in you.

Perception is a bizarre one. One of the stumbling blocks with artificial retinas is that you have to use them early before the ability to learn new perceptions finishes. Mice grown in cages with horizontal lines only loose the ability to perceive vertical lines etc etc.... Similarly giving a blind person artifical retinas when they're 20-30 would be not so beneficial. They'd probably be good on faces (different perception centre- hence newborns get quite handy with faces quickly) but for day to day stuff not much cop....

The other bizarre was is in people whose L hemisphere of the brain doesn't communicate with the R (usually surgically induced). Get them to close their eyes and put something in their and though they'll describe it they won't be able to perceive it or name it, let them open their eyes and they'll perceive and recognize it straight away)...

jlparsons

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Humans have 9 defined senses by the way, can you guess them all?
Ie 9 difference cellular systems to gather information on our environment.
Sight, taste, smell, touch and hearing are only 5 of them.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

macnab

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Remember we're all based on the same ‘mechanics’ I therefore would not expect to much off a difference.

Things like preferences for certain tastes or colours are more subjective and not the same thing as how stimuli are first received.

More those are learnt or pre-programmed responses

[Edited on 15/1/07 by macnab]

BenB

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders

Not true... We don't taste much- we smell it!!!! Your tongue has four different sensors (five if you believe the MSG thing). Your nose does the actually "tasting"... Why does food taste so bland when your nose is blocked?? People who destroy their olfactory cranial nerve (sense of smell to you and me) have a lifetime of tasteless living... Good for chilli eating competitions though....

macnab

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
he he Liams buggered off.

firestarter!

Wadders

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I stand corrected

Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders

Not true... We don't taste much- we smell it!!!! Your tongue has four different sensors (five if you believe the MSG thing). Your nose does the actually "tasting"... Why does food taste so bland when your nose is blocked?? People who destroy their olfactory cranial nerve (sense of smell to you and me) have a lifetime of tasteless living... Good for chilli eating competitions though....

02GF74

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
People who destroy their olfactory cranial nerve (sense of smell to you and me) have a lifetime of tasteless living... Good for chilli eating competitions though....

is that true? eating chilis and other hot food isn't just the taste/burning but it involves sweating so there is some physical reaction type stuff going on.

it would be nice to detroy the nerves at the other end

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.