Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2007 Fia killswitch regs
andrews_45

posted on 15/1/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
2007 Fia killswitch regs

Can anybody help me decide where to put my killswitch. All the wiring... battery, starter and solenoid are on the passenger side, but the MSA Blue Book seems to say it needs to be mounted on the drivers side.

My interpretation is on the drivers side on the side of the scuttle, is this right?

Thanks Again...

shortie

posted on 15/1/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Alot of racers put it in the middle of the scuttle, as far as I am aware the basic principle is that it must be easily accessible by a marshall in the event of an incident so that he can kill all power to the car.

Rich.

Rob Palin

posted on 15/1/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
My kill switch is currently on the top of the scuttle which is great for the marshalls but i can't reach it from inside the car

I've had to consider either fitting a secondary switch inside the cockpit or leaving it where it is and instead putting in a pull-cord on the dash which will twist the external switch around.

Generally i like to keep things as simple as possible (less to go wrong) so i think i'll probably go for the pull-cord option. It's cheaper too!

Fozzie

posted on 15/1/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have put 2 in.One in the cockpit next to the fire extinguisher pull, both of which I can reach from my seat, and another 'set' on the rear, off-side, that the marshalls can reach. I hope you can see them in the photo.

HTH Fozzie Rescued attachment Fozzie19c.jpg
Rescued attachment Fozzie19c.jpg

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Fozzie

posted on 15/1/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
The rear 'set' can just about be seen. here is a close up of cockpit switches...
Fozzie Rescued attachment FozzCockpit136.JPG
Rescued attachment FozzCockpit136.JPG

andrews_45

posted on 15/1/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Nice 1 thanks, would save a lot of hassle if i can mount on the dash. Fozzie, have you had any trouble with scrutes with it mounted there? The blue book aint very clear. Many thanks for replys chaps
Fozzie

posted on 15/1/07 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have a set of 'scroot' switches on the rear panel, the first pic was a bit small, I have attached a bigger one...hopefully.

My car was built for the road as well as to race regs of the 750 series.

I decided the build turned out far better than I could have hoped for, and after following the races for a couple of seasons, sadly decided against racing in that series.

The only thing on my car that has now changed is that I have added twin 40's, but can change it all back if I want to in the future.

My other half and I have been involved in racing for a good many years, and we also prepare 'racing historics' for others.

If I just had the switches in the cockpit, I would expect scroot problems, but with having the second set on top of rear panel I don't expect any problems.

HTH fozzie Rescued attachment Fozzie scroot.jpg
Rescued attachment Fozzie scroot.jpg

procomp

posted on 16/1/07 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi just mount the switch on the dash in a reachable distance and then run a pull cable to the top off the scuttle for the scrutes to use.

for the fire extinguisher dont forget to run one pull cable to the top off the scuttle next to the master switch pull cable and the other to a conveinient place usualy top off the tunnel for the driver to operate.

Thoes positions have been used for many years.

cheers matt

Ps oil the pull cables before finally fitting as if they rust up and they do verry easily and a scrute checks to see if they are operable and they dont move you will find your self stripping it down to get your scrute ticket. Also squirt some lubrication down the cable once a month.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 19/1/07 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi a copy of the instructions for any one who may need them.

[img]http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk [/img]

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.