Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear brake problem
jimbona2

posted on 3/3/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
rear brake problem

hi,
got a problem going back to last year but I moved on but I need to get it resolved really.
i have my rear braking plates, brake shoes and drums fittered. i can turn the shafts by hand by turning the studs sticking out of the drum when fittered onto the car.

but, my problem is when I put my wheels on. The wheels look to push against the drum, which then pushes the drum onto the brake plate and then causes the wheels to seize.

surely something is wrong here? i went to tiger and they said I have the right plates etc..?

Thanks,

[Edited on 3/3/08 by jimbona2]

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/3/08 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
the bearings should stop this happening, what is their condition?

other thought is that the drums are to wide or the shoes as also to wide. Take the drum off and do a bit of measuring

or the wheel bolts are to long and are hitting the shoes

[Edited on 3/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/3/08 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
That is a strange one!! As said the drums should fit tight against the hubs and not rub on the back plate. Have you tried tightening the wheel nuts onto the studs on their own - might see better what is happening that way to stop the drums turning. I believe there are only 38mm (8in dia) or 53mm (9 in dia) drums available for the Sierra.

Only thing i can think of that would cause the drums (assuming they are the right size) to rub on the back plate is the bearings being badly worn or maybe you have bearing carriers of a disk brake setup (are they different??)

jimbona2

posted on 3/3/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
im thinking maybe the plates are on the wrong side of the flange? Is that possible or am I going cross-eyed?

[Edited on 3/3/08 by jimbona2]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/3/08 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
The bearing carriers bolt directly to the backplate so cant see how it could be wrong really. Can you see exactly what is catching to stop it turning when you put the wheel nuts on?? It is the drums sticking and not a wheel on a rear wishbone or something??
Ian D

posted on 3/3/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Jim,

Check the drum back plates do not foul the hub carriers. There is a protrusion on the brake back plate which fouls the hub carrier. You need to file back the hub carrier so the back plate sits flush.

Hope this helps

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.