Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anti rollbars or no anti rollbars???
BATHO

posted on 27/4/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Anti rollbars or no anti rollbars???

Hi, i,m after opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of anti roll bars front/rear and any other infomation on this subject. This is for a seven replica.

Any help would be great!

cheers
Batho

nitram38

posted on 27/4/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I would say for dry races on tarmac, yes, for general road use, No.

BenB

posted on 27/4/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Generally I'd say a light car like a Se7en won't need an ARB, then again it depends on how you like your car sprung...

I've got firm springs and no ARB and I love it Much nicer than most tintops with soft springs and a firm ARB...

BATHO

posted on 27/4/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks but would that be yes front and rear or just front.
blakep82

posted on 27/4/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
i'm not bothering with them for the road on mine..

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jambojeef

posted on 27/4/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
I think to limit roll they might not strictly be necessary on a 7 style car but to enable you to adjust over / understeer it seems to be a useful addition.

If using them for this purpose you can get away with just a front ARB.

The added weight and complexity is only worth it though if you are prepared to spend time correctly setting it up at the end of the build of course.

Geoff

JimSpencer

posted on 28/4/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Up until this winter I've run the Striker with no front anti-roll bar, and increasingly stiffer front springs and dampers to get the roll out of the chassis. Just changed to a front ARB and been able to soften the springs and dampers off considerably - car is much much better on the road and on track - wish I had done it years ago!

Disadvantage is a bit of weight and some packaging issues to overcome.
Advantages are that you can have better spring and damper compliance and still limit chassis roll when 'pushing on'

And lastly - unless you are very confident in your ability to set a car up - do budget for somebody with all the right kit and/or experience to do a full chassis set up on your car when you've finished it.
I couldn't belive the difference a set of very small, but extensive, list of changes made to how the car drives.

RazMan

posted on 28/4/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
For road use (even fast cornering) I doubt you would even need an ARB. In fact I reckon your ride suffers and becomes too harsh as a result.

Track use however would probably benefit from an ARB, but even then you need to have a fairly light one.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 28/4/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Rather than try to calculate "roll couples" an the like, I think the practical approach is to run with no ARBs & see if either end of the car feels relatively short of grip. If so put an ARB on the other end to balance the handling.
I reckon 7s generally have such low COG & such stiff springing that actually reducing body roll is just not an issue.....
Bob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.