Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My Carbon mods air scoop
bigrich

posted on 26/6/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
My Carbon mods air scoop

just a couple of piccys of my latest car mod, its a Carbon Mods Naca duct which i picked up from the Newark show. Well pleased with the quality and how it looks

[Edited on 26/6/08 by bigrich]

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

mookaloid

posted on 26/6/08 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Like it Rich

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Paul TigerB6

posted on 26/6/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Have you got any under bonnet pics of how you have connected it up?? I'm considering one or two of those hooked up to the Pipercross 600 airbox to help keep the noise down
worX

posted on 26/6/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
looks ok...

Steve

Bob C

posted on 26/6/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Actually, it looks very compromised to make it "get out of a simple 1 piece mould" - able - be interesting to know how well it pumps... do you own a wind tunnel ;^)
Don't get me wrong it's nicely finished & all that, I just have doubts about its effectiveness, 'cos it doesn't look like the NACA original, especially where & how the duct attatches.

02GF74

posted on 26/6/08 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ wot bob c says - more loike carbon fibre bling than function, but as long as yer happy, that is what matters.

pmw

posted on 26/6/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Is it just me, or have their prices shot up ?

And what about this madnes ...

http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1149

And that's ex-vat !!! For a bit of neoprene!!!

[Edited on 26/6/08 by pmw]

BenB

posted on 26/6/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe I'm stupid but isn't the cold air going to whistle over the top of that duct rather than going through it. If you're really unlucky it'll create low pressure and actually suck air out of your airbox???

But them I'm no expert on aerodynamics. I just about understand the Bernoulli effect...

INDY BIRD

posted on 26/6/08 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I was informed the same as above.

Only the front of the nose cone best as creates a big scoop and preasure is greater,

I wanted to run scoops for an intercooler but was told it would just pass over the top or create a vacum,

But time will tell looks good so i hope it does work,???

Fred W B

posted on 27/6/08 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
A proper NACA duct (flush fitting, flat tapering floor) is designed to pull air in without disturbing the flow over the rest of the surface.

That us not a proper naca duct, but if you like the look so what.

cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

MikeCapon

posted on 27/6/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a nice dwg of a NACA duct

Description
Description

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carbonmods

posted on 9/7/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmw
Is it just me, or have their prices shot up ?

Our prices have gone up; we tipped the threashold and had to register for VAT. To keep prices down as best we could we only added around 10% to most products when this happened. Since a large chunk of the cost of producing these products is labour we don't get much VAT back and so it hurts us a bit.

We also make a lot more parts out of pre-preg carbon fibre now, the best material you can get (and the most expensive). For parts like the NACA duct you simply cannot make them any other way. A year ago we didn't have any pre-preg facilties (or products) so all our prices were for wet-lay carbon. For the products we still make that way their prices pretty much the same as they were 18 months ago when we started.

As anyone who phones and finds us in the workshop 8am to 8pm 7 days a week will be able to testify, 'easy money' this aint.

As for the NACA we do sell an authentic NACA (can't remember the file number but it's to official dimensions). We did this NACA duct because it suited some customer's requirements and so we offer choice. It's based on a design that is very commonly used in motor racing in various installations. It wasn't shaped like that to avoid a split mould, it's actually quite a difficult part to make in pre-preg as it is. If it needed to be a split mould to be the right shape it would be. We have many products that require a split-mould and wouldn't bat an eyelid at making one if the product required it.

Anyway, I think it look mint but I would say that! - Email me a pic and I'll stick it on our site.

Carbon Mods - www.carbonmods.co.uk
Performance Carbon Fibre Components

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kastrato

posted on 9/7/08 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know what people say but I have to admit that I am a very happy costumer of Carbon Mods!
Paul is a very nice person, always friendly and helpful and in the end of the day maybe their prices are gone a little bit up but they are still cheaper than everybody else.
I have bought from them a number of thing for my Mk indy and all there were in top condition.
I am not trying to advertise them I just saying the truth.

MK INDY fireblade

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.