Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Jinxed!
Snap-off

posted on 12/9/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Jinxed!

Hi guys,
Some of you may remember my first SVA disaster:
The day before SVA the car got scratched in the trailer going to the garage for emissions setup.
At the garage, one of the employees drove over my bonnet.
Failed the SVA and then the borrowed towing car broke down twice on the way home upsetting the owner of the trailer who was expecting it back 3 hours earlier.

Well today was my re-test:
P#ssing rain.
Major smashup on the A47, waited for 40mins in a jam then got diverted down a single dirt track.
Hundreds of cars and single dirt track road don't mix, the car and I were plastered in mud.
A tractor pulling a potato wagon got stuck on the embankment blocking the road.

I eventually got to the test 1 hour late, filthy, soaked and cold. A 1 hour 15 min journey took over 3 hours!
I had previously setup my emissions at a MOT test centre and on the journey today I heard the exhaust note change dramatically. When I was tested at the centre the emissions were way out, so far out I could not alter them with the mixture screws.

I think my romance with kitcars is coming to an end....

l0rd

posted on 12/9/08 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Don't give up.

Good things always take longer to happen. I am sure that you will be fine next time.

Good luck!

BenB

posted on 12/9/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
The plus side is that you get to drive your locost legally lots of miles when if you blat past a speed camera you won't get done.

PS it's likely to be that the carbs are warming up and the tolerances are changing so that you get a richer run. IIRC carbs run richer as they warm up so you want to tune the car when it's hot and make sure they do the SVA emissions test with a toasty warm engine....

simoto

posted on 12/9/08 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Keep it going, the car looks really nice assuming its the one in your avatar.
Better luck next time pal.
Si

striker/blade now complete, thanks to all on this site.

matt.c

posted on 12/9/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Stop Bl**dy moaning!!

At least your car stayed in one piece and not started to self destruct itself!

matt.c

posted on 12/9/08 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snap-off

I had previously setup my emissions at a MOT test centre and on the journey today I heard the exhaust note change dramatically. When I was tested at the centre the emissions were way out, so far out I could not alter them with the mixture screws.

Anyone got any idea's of what happened?

Snap-off

posted on 12/9/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
quote:
Originally posted by Snap-off

Anyone got any idea's of what happened?

I will have to take a look sometime this weekend.
CO went from 0.01 to 2.87
HC went from 3 to 333
and lambda went from 1.00 to 0.943
Running really rich. To get it to pass at the MOT station I had to remove the air filter. Do you think the rain water on the journey there would cause this issue. (the airbox intake was dry when checked)

matt.c

posted on 12/9/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt have thought so but i would fit the filter then set it up with it in so no dirt/water gets in the carbs. It might have sucked some crap in there?

Jubal

posted on 12/9/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just a guess but try another can. I once had an R1 can go pop in similar circumstances. Exhaust note changed. Not long after the end 90 degree bend fell off completely.
ditchlewis

posted on 13/9/08 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
I know how you feel... i had 4 attempts after the first it was the speedo and once it failed on ly a mile from the test center.

on the plus side i had 500 on the clock before it was registered

keep at it once you pass there is no feeling like it

ditch

finlay

posted on 13/9/08 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
lol i had exactly the same experience as you with pissing rain etc and towing cars back and forward to mot test stations, knightmare,

i also had emission problems, failed first time with emissions, i noticed on your avaitor your running quite a small CAT (the same size i ran first time)

i ended up running 2 CATs in line which made a huge difference, also i had a remap done to final tweek the emissions, i know your running carbs but i would defenetly think about a second CAT

hope you get sorted

cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.