Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fiat x19
AndyW

posted on 3/10/08 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
fiat x19

ok dont all laugh at once.... I have the opportunity to obtain a fiat x-19 with a stash of spares, been dry stored for 4 years. The best part is its free!! Just wondered if there were any kits that used the x19 as a donor or should I stick a bike engine in it and have a cheapish laugh??? Any suggestions please.
bram boekestein

posted on 3/10/08 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
The Lancia Stratos replica kit from Hawk uses some fiat x1/9 parts.
westf27

posted on 3/10/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
restore it as best you can and sell it,don't chop it and build it into a kit,its a classic,like family you don't kill 'em

pewe

posted on 3/10/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC they were well known for excellent handling and there are lots of engine options/upgrades to make it quicker.
So as ^^^ westf27 says restore it. Cheers, Pewe

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/10/08 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I ran X19's from 1982 until 2003 when I made the locost, they are going to be worth SERIOUS money very shortly, don't waste your investment

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Jon Ison

posted on 3/10/08 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Will give you £250 for it now, then you can build a locost ?

I used to run them very successfully years ago in grass track racing till they where banned, allegedly because of the roof, realistically because they where so blooming fast and handled so well in there class compared to others.

Don't break it.

mad-butcher

posted on 3/10/08 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
look like fun

linky

[Edited on 3/10/08 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 3/10/08 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
yeah restore! (sort of)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

panichat

posted on 3/10/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Love your x1/9

I am running a very scabby one that I think is great. They are such a lot of fun for so little money and are easy to work on. The metal is so thin that you get to be a skillful welder and the parts are easy to get (ebay, Alternative Autos, CASCU). There is also a brilliant forum at http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/ where you can find help with any technical stuff.
Some people find them underpowered but others aren't worried, and there have been some frightening hot versions.
I think they are really cool. The only downside s that I'm a bit worried that when I finish the Locost it won't compare favourably to the fiat.

[Edited on 3/10/08 by panichat]

Jed

posted on 3/10/08 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC, Colin Chapman was reported to say that the X1/9 is the one car he wished he'd designed. I think that says a lot considering what he had designed.

Restore it - they're not a common sight on the road these days.

rgrs

posted on 4/10/08 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
If you want any spares let me know, i had two x 1/9 's they were both great fun, i've stilll got a crash damaged 1500 lurking in a garge awaiting my attention and a twin cam engine...
Mark Allanson

posted on 4/10/08 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think they are really cool. The only downside s that I'm a bit worried that when I finish the Locost it won't compare favourably to the fiat.

[Edited on 3/10/08 by panichat]

It will!! Much (MUCH) quicker, but not quite so forgiving when you get a little excited

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.