Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Its wrong...all wrong
speedyxjs

posted on 15/10/08 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Its wrong...all wrong

An electric Porsche!!!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

02GF74

posted on 15/10/08 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
that is wronger than a blundering erroneous thing that has made a big mistake.

designer

posted on 15/10/08 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
It's the future I'm afraid.

Big engines banned and cars humming down the road.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/10/08 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
just them trying to get some lime light since they've been completely eclipsed by scoobies and the like, what’s a porsche again, isn't that a girls name??

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 15/10/08 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
just them trying to get some lime light since they've been completely eclipsed by scoobies and the like, what’s a porsche again, isn't that a girls name??

Same as Merc

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/10/08 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Same as Merc

Merc? is that some kind of Lexus?

blakep82

posted on 15/10/08 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
lexus is the japanese mercedes

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

balidey

posted on 15/10/08 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

Oh they should have called it Rexus

balidey

posted on 15/10/08 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Back on topic, electric vehicles ARE coming, and it looks like the charging infrastructure is going to need setting up big time, and soon....

quote:

The SMMT just ran a first seminar for its members on the electrification of transport. The aim was to talk about some of the opportunities that this field offers. The two industry speakers, from electric truck maker Modec and from Lotus, which makes the Elise-based sports car for Telsa, agreed that battery charging offers probably the biggest challenge. "Even recharging through a conventional 35 amp three-phase supply is a bit like trying to refuel your car with a hypodermic, because the energy transfer rate is so low," said Simon Thing, engineering director at Lotus. Most domestic electricity supplies are a factor of magnitude below that capacity. Providing a widespread system that would recharge a vehicle as fast as we can refuel a car would probably melt the national grid. This graphically illustrated the point that probably the biggest opportunity on the road to electric transport is to develop a practical re-charging infrastructure. "And on this, the energy supply industry, vehicle makers and users need to work together." Encouraging that commonsense dialogue is an opportunity the SMMT will push the government to grasp.

[Edited on 15/10/08 by balidey]

nick205

posted on 15/10/08 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Back on topic, electric vehicles ARE coming, and it looks like the charging infrastructure is going to need setting up big time, and soon....

quote:

The SMMT just ran a first seminar for its members on the electrification of transport. The aim was to talk about some of the opportunities that this field offers. The two industry speakers, from electric truck maker Modec and from Lotus, which makes the Elise-based sports car for Telsa, agreed that battery charging offers probably the biggest challenge. "Even recharging through a conventional 35 amp three-phase supply is a bit like trying to refuel your car with a hypodermic, because the energy transfer rate is so low," said Simon Thing, engineering director at Lotus. Most domestic electricity supplies are a factor of magnitude below that capacity. Providing a widespread system that would recharge a vehicle as fast as we can refuel a car would probably melt the national grid. This graphically illustrated the point that probably the biggest opportunity on the road to electric transport is to develop a practical re-charging infrastructure. "And on this, the energy supply industry, vehicle makers and users need to work together." Encouraging that commonsense dialogue is an opportunity the SMMT will push the government to grasp.

[Edited on 15/10/08 by balidey]

Which makes the worldwide dependency on fossil fuel even more laughable. We can barely generate enough electricity to meet current demand. How do we expect to charge all these electric vehicles.....?

Renewable power sources are not goin to cover it by a long chalk. Certainly not without changing/damaging the planet even more (tidal, biofuel, wind, solar - all of them).

I doubt we'll realise it in our short lifetimes, but sooner or later we'll have to face up to the fact that cars are not the way to travel and that travel itself is not the way forward.

Sorry - rant over (and not aimed at anyone either)

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/10/08 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I looked into electric cars a few times, but the cost is silly, literally thousands even for lead batteries, lithium was just plain crazy. Add to that at least £500 for the motor, plus a fancy speed controller, a heap of battery chargers (lithium ones are quite expensive) and you could buy a brand new car for all that! Then you can only get it to move about 50miles before it comes to a grinding halt...what a waste of time and money.

In the end I settled for LPG as for £500 I could convert the car and still have better than original potential range, while making huge savings. Very clean emissions too. Since most electricity is produce by oil, coal & nuclear the emissions saved by driving a car charged by such means is minimal. Oh and electric motors produce ozone which is a pollutant at ground level

You've also got all the disposal issues of batteries and their nasty manufacturing processes, especially when using lead batteries. I'd love a quiet electric car, but I think really it will be decades before they are the majority on the roads.

Like this ridiculous Porsche that everyone knows fine well that it will appeal to as many potential owners as much as a clockwork power version, the "we're going green!" is just advertising as much as company’s promoting huge 4x4's hybrids. Every motor show has manufactures showing off their green visions while really they just continue fitting petrol engines in back at the factory. Usual old BS

[Edited on 15/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

coozer

posted on 15/10/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Well, I'm all for it... trams, milk floats, trolley buses, hybrid buses even.

Now we have the Tesla and the focus is at the wrong end of the spectrum...

We had trams, got rid of them, we have Maglev, and don't use it.

ITS ALL A CON!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

woodster

posted on 15/10/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
over most summers i stand in fields at steam rallies looking at traction engines and steam lorries and in 100 years time thats what my grand children will do with petrol and diesel lorries and cars
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/10/08 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
over most summers i stand in fields at steam rallies looking at traction engines and steam lorries and in 100 years time thats what my grand children will do with petrol and diesel lorries and cars

Went to one of those shows once, came out absolutely covered in black soot!

Saw a steam lorry a few days ago going along the road on a flatbed truck with smoke coming out the funnel, thought that seemed a bit dodgy bth

very very few modern cars will be around in 100 years time in this throw away society. My Bluebird will be there off course

[Edited on 15/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

RK

posted on 15/10/08 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
It's hard for you to believe, but there are whole countries that see the sun sometimes. They can generate a lot of electricity with that. You,however, are dependent upon squirrels, splitting atoms and goo coming out of the North Sea (for now).
C10CoryM

posted on 15/10/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
At least it will make oil changes cheaper

Just dumped 8L of expensive oil into a porsche the other day. $400 for an oil change and fuel filter.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

Liam

posted on 15/10/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster

Woah you're right!! In 50 years time, I will be the equivalent of the old bearded men who sit in sad-old-gits corner at the kit car shows, run boring and utterly pointless traction engines, all secretly jealous of the guy with the biggest one. Except we'll be sitting in sad-old-gits corner running Duratecs and turbo diesels etc etc, all secretly jealous of the old guy who keeps blipping the throttle on an LS1 V8. And all the while the kids'll be walkng past totally uninterested going to see how many amps the latest Apple iCar is packing.

Scary

[Edited on 15/10/08 by Liam]

Bob C

posted on 15/10/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
T' aint necessarily so.... Biodiesel will be here forever (the countryside will be forever yellow with oilseed rape) for longer journeys & electric used for commutes/shorter journeys.
Having got well stuck into the electric kitten, I now want to make something different.... I've seen these BLDC aero motors for RC planes - less than half a kilo of motor belts out 2.4kW mechanical!!! So my plan is to make a single seat covered quad bike type affair using bike technology, 10kW of power & lithium batteries. At about 200kg with me in it should go like stink...
I'll start the design properly soon (anybody want an electric kitten...?..?.)

Benzine

posted on 15/10/08 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

are you wearing Lynx?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

blakep82

posted on 16/10/08 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:

are you wearing Lynx?

Java!
jurassic park!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.