Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is it a rite of passage...?
Bob C

posted on 2/11/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a rite of passage...?

So I guess I hadn't fastened my bonnet down properly... Went for a spin this morning & suddenly, no bonnet,
It went up overhead without touching anything (I have a screen) & I trotted back down the road & put it on properly.
A bit of gelcoat got knocked off but it's mostly OK.
There was nothing behind me fortunately (well there wouldn't be...!!)
So my resolution is NEVER just place the bonnet on - ALWAYS clip the clips

PS going for a spin - very nearly very accurate - cold damp roads, R888 tyres & an R1 engined BEC are an interesting mixture ! ! !

David Jenkins

posted on 2/11/08 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've got myself into the habit of walking round the car after doing any maintenance, even if that was days before the drive.

I've driven down the A12 with one corner of the bonnet flapping before now...

rusty nuts

posted on 2/11/08 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I pulled on to the A14 with one corner flapping when I first got the car on the road . I now do as David and check before getting into the car. Your not the first and I doubt you will be the last but I bet you don't make a habit of it.
smart51

posted on 2/11/08 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Mine flew off the minute I hit 70 on the motorway. The road was empty save for me and a truck. The truck drove over it and smashed it to small pieces. The new on is a very good colour match, thankfully.
clairetoo

posted on 2/11/08 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I drove away from Z-cars the other week after the day out and rolling road run - and as soon as I started to get a move on the back edge of my bonnet started to lift - it's forward hinged and on gas struts so a bit higher and I would have been looking at nothing but the inside of the bonnet (on a very twisty road...............)

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

BenB

posted on 2/11/08 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I go round before a blat and give the little beggars a check (ditto with the swivel nuts ). Better safe than sorry.....
andyharding

posted on 2/11/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I always check before getting in the car. I've come back to it when it's been parked in a car park before to find someone has undone the catches! (hope the wankers got burnt on the exhaust)

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

David Jenkins

posted on 2/11/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I now do as David and check before getting into the car.

I tend to do a 'long way round' walk when preparing to drive the car, to spot anything out of place - at least the rubber bonnet catches I've got are fairly obvious when they're undone!

Once or twice I've parked the car and come back to find one or two catches undone...

blackie

posted on 2/11/08 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
....it's not uncommon - especially to us tinkerers.

My crap short term memory combined with my compulsion to fiddle (no to mention my crap short term memory) means I can never put anything on the car unfastened / unbolted etc. Either it's on or it's not - this is my golden rule.

The racers are by far the worst for not tightening small items like wheels etc - I count myself among them

All the best,

DB

gttztt

posted on 2/11/08 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Rite of passage

In aviation circles its usually refered to as a "BF" (before flight) which helps to avoid these problems! Seeing a most of you are to be found close to takeoff speed javascript:icon(''it may be prudent to carry out a onceover just in casejavascript:icon(''
dhutch

posted on 2/11/08 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
So my resolution is NEVER just place the bonnet on - ALWAYS clip the clips

Yeah, wouldnt be a bad idea.
- Although as said its ways good to check too.

I very nearly came a cropper when some t**t undid the quickrelease on the wheels of my bike when i left it on campus.

Why people think its funny to do that i have no idea.

Daniel

Ninehigh

posted on 3/11/08 at 03:57 AM Reply With Quote
I was hammering down the a57 in Warrington a few years ago and I heard the dunk dunk dunk typical of not quite tightening the wheelnuts after you've changed it... Only I hadn't changed it for months. Hoping I forgot I changed the wheel yesterday (not unlike me) I got out to check, the front left wheel had one bolt nicely screwed in, two about to fall out and the fourth one missing. Good job I check on funny noises.

Wasn't so lucky the next time, it sounded like my exhaust was falling off, made it to just out of the junction (was going to pull into a layby about 100 yards down) and it cut out. Then refused to start. The AA guy lifted the bonnet, stuck his fingers under some cover and told me the cam belt had gone... Bye bye car

Bob C

posted on 3/11/08 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Aye - good call; BF check to become standard operating procedure.......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.