Board logo

3 Point harnesses IVA ok?
carlknight1982 - 14/1/11 at 09:45 AM

I read in the new CBS catalog that the IVA has been revised to "outlaw" 3 point harnesses

Anyone know how accurate this is before I fit mine.

gdp66 - 14/1/11 at 10:03 AM

if you look at the IVA manual, it reads as if static 3 point belts aren't allowed.
But inertia 3 points are.

But I did pass my IVA last April with static 3-point belts.

carlknight1982 - 14/1/11 at 10:15 AM

so would a 3 point harness be classed as a static belt? i suppose it would.

loggyboy - 14/1/11 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gdp66
if you look at the IVA manual, it reads as if static 3 point belts aren't allowed.
But inertia 3 points are.

But I did pass my IVA last April with static 3-point belts.

I cant see anything that states static 3 points arent allowed.
Care to clarify your thoughts?

loggyboy - 14/1/11 at 04:41 PM

Section 31 Table Note 4

an acceptable alternative to any of the seat belt types listed is an adult harness belt comprising a lap belt and shoulder straps providing the anchorages satisfy section 19

Table in section 19 shows 3 Anchorage points required for front outboard seats.

[Edited on 14/1/11 by loggyboy]

minitici - 15/1/11 at 12:13 PM

As above re. harnesses are OK for IVA.

However if you are going to use your car in MSA competitions you are no longer allowed 3 point harnesses.
(i.e. - where the shoulder straps join into one and there is only one mounting.)

Macbeast - 16/1/11 at 12:17 AM

One of my fail points was I only had static 3-point belts. You need to have the self-adjusting 3-point belts or 4-point fixed.

loggyboy - 16/1/11 at 12:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
One of my fail points was I only had static 3-point belts. You need to have the self-adjusting 3-point belts or 4-point fixed.

Can you confirm where the manual states this?
When the fail you do they just state, or do they quote/give reference to clarify their judgement?

[Edited on 16/1/11 by loggyboy]

big_wasa - 16/1/11 at 12:43 AM

Any one know if this is standard or just one vosa center's interpratation ?

I have had enough of moving goal posts.

Macbeast - 16/1/11 at 06:38 AM

Fail sheet says

" each seat requiring a belt must be fitted with a seat belt of the appropriate type as detailed in Annex 1 of Section 31 of the IVA M1 inspection manual

with the seat belt fastened and the seat unoccupied retractor mechanisms must take up any excess webbing

A retractor mechanism must be correctly positioned to ensure the correct operation of the belt "

Looking at the IVA manual -

" TABLE NOTE 4: The table lists the minimum required belt type. A 3 point retractor belt may be fitted where the minimum required is a 2 point lap belt and an acceptable alternative to any of the seat belt types listed is an adult harness belt comprising a lap belt and shoulder straps providing the anchorages satisfy section 19 "

Note 6: Some types of retracting belt might need help before they retract and harness belts due to their design will not retract however excess webbing must be secured.

[Edited on 16/1/11 by Macbeast]

[Edited on 16/1/11 by Macbeast]

big_wasa - 19/1/11 at 12:48 PM

Ok thanks for the info macbeast. I couldnt get hold of Vosa so bassed on tyhe above ive chopped my roll bar about and fitted 4 points.

cheers