Board logo

Brake Pipe Half Nuts
flange nut - 28/3/04 at 08:41 PM

Anyone got an idea where I can get hold of some 10x1mm half nuts suitable for holding brake flexible hoses to the chassis brackets? I can find plenty of male and female unions, "T" pieces etc but no nuts.

stephen_gusterson - 28/3/04 at 08:45 PM

neither could I

I junked my std hoses and had specials made up with braids, and these , if ordered with bulkhead fittings, have the nuts on them.

I got mine from merlin motorsport. I dont suppose they sell them 'nuts only' but you could ask. Worse cas is you could buy fittings and just use the nuts....thats about a fiver a nut tho....

atb

steve

JoelP - 28/3/04 at 08:50 PM

i bought two pairs of sierra front ones from the local shop, about a 5er each, and instead of halfnuts i intend to go to the scrappy and salvage a few of the clips used on sierras. Would prefer nuts though so if you find some, post the link please! ta

ray.h. - 28/3/04 at 09:06 PM

Buy brake pipe female connectors and cut them down.Two nuts per connector and smaller diameter than a standard nut,and very cheep.

wicket - 28/3/04 at 09:13 PM

Newform do them. If you talk to them nicely I'm sure you could get a few free samples.

http://www.newformdistribution.co.uk/

Here's another possibility, had samples from PTS

http://www.pts-uk.com/

[Edited on 28/3/04 by wicket]

Lightning - 28/3/04 at 10:38 PM

I got mine from Ford

givemethebighammer - 29/3/04 at 06:42 PM

bought a bag of them from my local fastener supplier:

G.I Fasteners Ltd
Unit 2, Windmill Rd
Loughborough Leicestershire
LE11 1RA

Tel: 01509 260747

very helpful people, don't know if they do mail order though ?

paulf - 29/3/04 at 08:10 PM

I drilled and tapped the heads of some 10mm stainless bolts , cut them off and faced them to thickness in the lathe.
Paul.

chrisg - 29/3/04 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paulf
I drilled and tapped the heads of some 10mm stainless bolts , cut them off and faced them to thickness in the lathe.
Paul.

Well done Paul, and so much easier than buying them from a shop.

I'm going to mould my own tyres.

Just kidding mate!!

Cheers

Chris

paulf - 29/3/04 at 09:57 PM

Its all part of the fun and it was actually easier than driving around looking for them locally or sending off for them.
I also made a pair of rear dampers using mini shocks, to use until i have finished the pair of gas mono tube dampers i have half built, which is going to be my next challenge to complete once the car is on the road.
I have actually lost some interest in the car now it is nearly finished and am enjoying building a trailer at the moment and am enjoying the cutting and welding side of things again.
Paul

Well done Paul, and so much easier than buying them from a shop.

I'm going to mould my own tyres.

Just kidding mate!!

Cheers

Chris