Board logo

Aldi mini grinder ?
jacko - 22/1/12 at 05:05 PM

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_23052.htm

Hi All
At Aldi on the Thursday 26 they have mini grinders / disc's etc for sale
Has anyone got one or used one are they worth the money ?
£17.99 and discs are £3.99 a set
Jacko

blakep82 - 22/1/12 at 05:37 PM

looks alright, and really at that price, if it doesn't last long, then fine! the best grinder i've ever had was the cheapest one i could find in homebase, still going quite well, though the switch sometimes doesn't switch it on... always goes off though, so you know...
115mm is the smallest type that most of us tend to use though... and if i hadn't just bought 30 115mm cutting discs, i'd be tempted, because i prefer that type of switch where you pull the handle in, rather than the ones with a switch on top, that doesn't automatically stop when you let go.

had a loose wire in my extention cable once, switched the grinder on, nothing, stupidly let go of it with one hand, moved the extention, grinder span into life, i couldn't hold it and nearly dropped it on my foot... and because it was still running, with was jumping about all over the place...

jacko - 22/1/12 at 05:47 PM

Hi Blake
I have a 100mm grinder but i have just been given about 50- 125 mm part worn flap discs so when i saw this grinder i thought it will do the job

I HOPE
Graham

T66 - 22/1/12 at 06:01 PM

I bought the cordless version they did before Christmas, its actually very good for £12

blakep82 - 22/1/12 at 07:04 PM

yeah i'd say i'll do the job! looks good enough to me.
never seen a 100mm grinder before, you live and learn! lol

spiderman - 22/1/12 at 07:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
115mm is the smallest type that most of us tend to use though... and if i hadn't just bought 30 115mm cutting discs, i'd be tempted,

115mm discs will fit a 125 capacity disc grinder as long as the centre bore is the same size.

silverback - 22/1/12 at 07:47 PM

At even that cheap price you really can't go wrong. I bought I think must have been the cheapest around at £7.99, and believe it or not it lasted me over 2 years. I have now just bouht another one for £16 so I ope this lasts as long as my last.
I do quite a lot of grinding cutting sanding and polishing with these small 115mm grinders, so they do get a little bit of stick.

NigeEss - 22/1/12 at 08:29 PM

I've one from last time they were in. works fine but the body is very bulky. Even
with fairly large hands it's not the most comfortable whizzer to use.

Peteff - 22/1/12 at 09:56 PM

I've had the Aldi grinder about 3 years now and it is a good size with the rear handle, no problem as I like them for the added grip they give me with a right shoulder problem which means I always use grinders two handed.
eta:- this is different to mine as it has a variable speed control which could come in handy for polishing, 2,800 minimum.

[Edited on 23/1/12 by Peteff]

v832b - 6/2/12 at 08:33 PM

thanks fgor the post