Board logo

Cropping MP4 Videos
davidimurray - 16/5/15 at 10:00 PM

Anyone got any good recommendations for software for cropping MP4 videos.

Been out today playing with my new SJ4000 and when I tried using Windows movie maker the quality was not as good as the original with bits pixelated.

craig1410 - 16/5/15 at 10:23 PM

https://handbrake.fr

I'm not a Windows user but I believe this works on Windows too. On the Mac it's pretty good and is probably the most popular video transcoder. Cropping is a pretty basic operation for this powerful program but it will do that too.

HTH,
Craig.

Slimy38 - 16/5/15 at 10:26 PM

My personal choice has been virtualdub, but it's not the best out there. It was just something I found early on and stuck with.

loggyboy - 16/5/15 at 10:40 PM

Which movie maker? I find The older 2.6 xp version is better than the win 7/8 version. Its an easy download to add to 7/8
And if you google movie maker hd there is a faily simple download/add on to allow hd resolution output.

snapper - 17/5/15 at 07:29 AM

Sorry pedantic photographer & film maker comment
Cropping is a still photography term for changing the image area from the original
Editing is the film/video term and cutting is the term for shortening clips or content.

Coming from the days of film, cutting the camera roll of film into "takes" which were dumped into a linen bin, these takes were removed from the bin and clipped with pegs to a line for splicing into a film

David Jenkins - 17/5/15 at 01:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
https://handbrake.fr

I'm not a Windows user but I believe this works on Windows too. On the Mac it's pretty good and is probably the most popular video transcoder. Cropping is a pretty basic operation for this powerful program but it will do that too.

HTH,
Craig.

I use Handbrake on Linux - very good, and the defaults are quite useful - but it can be a bit daunting at first. Lots of options! If you just want to clip the video here and there then it's a doddle.

bigfoot4616 - 17/5/15 at 07:01 PM

did you actually save the files after editing or just view them in movie maker? i find when you view them in movie maker the quality looks worse but once saved and viewed with something else its as good as the original.

Trollyjack - 20/5/15 at 02:07 PM

I thought SJ4000 Video formats was in .MOV