Board logo

Passat mk6 service light reset?
nick205 - 13/11/11 at 08:23 PM

Can the service light be reset without any special tools?

I've been told on some cars it can be done by pressing a sequence of buttons on the dash, but can't find anything on the net for the mk6.

Cheers
Nick

imp paul - 13/11/11 at 08:31 PM

no pal just had a look at my autodata it says you need tool but vag com would do it if you have it cheers paul

nick205 - 13/11/11 at 08:39 PM

Thanks Paul!

Not got VAG COM, what's the cheapest/simplest way of getting it? Could I run it from a laptop and connect to the car somehow...?

imp paul - 13/11/11 at 08:44 PM

yes you run it on your lappy mate i dont have it you will need a lead like obd or can type google is your mate best i can do mate

http://www.vagcom.co.uk/

VW VAG COM Diagnostic Fault Code Reader CAN OBD2 | eBay
New Page 7
hope this helps

[Edited on 13/11/11 by imp paul]

iceman26 - 13/11/11 at 09:17 PM

it tells you how in owners book no tool needed

nick205 - 13/11/11 at 09:22 PM

Thanks again Paul.

Googled a bit more and found a procedure to turn it off from the dash buttons here...

http://www.ehow.com/how_5023945_reset-service-light-volkswagen-passat. html

...just been outside and tried it out and it seems to have worked. Only unknown is whether it's reset for the "Standard" or "Long Life" service interval. Time will tell and I've noted the mileage down anyway so no great worry.

I'll check out the VAG COM stuff as it would be useful to have for the Passat and for SWMBOs Alhambra too.

nick205 - 13/11/11 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iceman26
it tells you how in owners book no tool needed

Hehehe - that would be far too easy to read the manual

imp paul - 14/11/11 at 06:52 AM

nice 1 glad you sorted it pal happy days

ditchlewis - 14/11/11 at 10:05 AM

I think it is all a big con to sell cables, software and keep you going to the main dealer.

Wife was quoted 400 quid for brakes on her mini , got a local garage to do it for 120. After a 10 minute search on google had all the instructions I needed to reset and test the computer using the buttons on the dash. Best 10 mins I ever spent on the net.
The same instructions worked in my 3 series BMW.

Its all a con.

Ditch

nick205 - 14/11/11 at 11:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
I think it is all a big con to sell cables, software and keep you going to the main dealer.

Wife was quoted 400 quid for brakes on her mini , got a local garage to do it for 120. After a 10 minute search on google had all the instructions I needed to reset and test the computer using the buttons on the dash. Best 10 mins I ever spent on the net.
The same instructions worked in my 3 series BMW.

Its all a con.

Ditch

Amen to that!

and we're in the minority of people who might be inclined to (or have the knowledge) look further than the dealers.