Board logo

Think ive actually found a 4pot heavier than a pinto!
StrikerChris - 4/4/14 at 02:50 PM

Picked up a rover t16 engine for my maestro yesterday.it got loaded onto the bedford rascal with an engine crane, after a journey home bouncing around on the bumpstops had to man handle it off at my end. Bugger me! Theres now 3 of us waiting for hernia ops with bad backs too! 2 of us can quite easily lift my sr20det onto the rascal.
Just how heavy are they?!

Chris

iank - 4/4/14 at 03:51 PM

IIRC they share a block with a diesel, thus the "sturdiness".

britishtrident - 4/4/14 at 05:22 PM

It is an MGB 5 bearing engine with a dohc head ,the origins go back to the 1947 Austin A40 Devon 1.2litre 40bhp engine which evolved into the 1500 BMC B series, which gained weight with various upgrades, then evolved into the O series, M series and eventually T series.

[Edited on 4/4/14 by britishtrident]

StrikerChris - 4/4/14 at 05:25 PM

Sturdy aint the word, I reckon ill be in profit weighing it in! No wonder bl went bust!

NigeEss - 4/4/14 at 09:11 PM

You've obviously not come across a Vauxhall CIH as fitted to Mk1 Cavaliers then

bi22le - 4/4/14 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
It is an MGB 5 bearing engine with a dohc head ,the origins go back to the 1947 Austin A40 Devon 1.2litre 40bhp engine which evolved into the 1500 BMC B series, which gained weight with various upgrades, then evolved into the O series, M series and eventually T series.

[Edited on 4/4/14 by britishtrident]

Now that is some knowledge!!

I hope you knew that off of the top of the head with out google. Knowing your previous posts and thier detail, I would not expect any less.

coyoteboy - 6/4/14 at 10:17 AM

Can't find any reliable info online but most groups seem to suggest it is about 110kg? (Though one did guess 200). The 3SGTE is a cast iron 4 pot which weighs in around 175 with manifolds and turbo!

Sam_68 - 6/4/14 at 11:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Can't find any reliable info online but most groups seem to suggest it is about 110kg?

That would be quite light for a cast iron 4-pot.

I weighed my old Crossflow (one of the lightest iron block engines) at 109 kilos with flywheel, clutch, inlet manifold and twin Webers. A Zetec is about 115 kilos and the Pinto is about 135 kilos, from memory.

jacko - 6/4/14 at 02:51 PM

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/engineweights.html
just found this if it helps
Jacko