Board logo

Supporting your chassis
EasyJimbo - 26/9/08 at 11:57 AM

Hi

Can anyone point me in the direction to what you are using to support your chassis while building. I know I could use axle stands, but I wonder if anyone lese uses bench stands under the floor of the chassis, which then sits on these one at the front and one at the rear. Can anyone recomend where to get these from and what they are called?
thanks
J

marmot0 - 26/9/08 at 12:05 PM

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/23565/Hand-Tools/Workbenches-Trestles/Sawhorse/Fatmax-Telescopic-Metal-Sawhorse-Twin-Pack

Used these no problems, just think about how you get it off them when you finish

dunk3 - 26/9/08 at 12:06 PM

i bought mine from b&q they are the stanley fat max saw horse with adjustable legs they will surport up to 2500lb per pair . £30 each

Paul TigerB6 - 26/9/08 at 12:11 PM

I've got some similar to the Screwfix ones. Some foam pipe lagging on the top is worthwhile to protect the chassis finish

Stuart_B - 26/9/08 at 12:11 PM

i got a pair of saw horse from b and q for £25the pair and done the job great.

stuart

EasyJimbo - 26/9/08 at 12:15 PM

thanks Guys, I see the cheaper ones only have 250KG capacity, is this enough for a rolling chassis..?
J

jollygreengiant - 26/9/08 at 12:18 PM

I made wooden horse for about £15.

They got passed on to a second builder.

iank - 26/9/08 at 12:26 PM

I'd say make your own from 2x4 rather use the cheap plastic ones.

Horror Story of Plastic stands breaking

drlloyd - 26/9/08 at 01:08 PM

Locost method - Old Car Tyres!

James - 26/9/08 at 04:12 PM

My plastic stands broke too when I dropped the chassis whilst rotating it on my own!

Cheers,
James

mcerd1 - 26/9/08 at 04:34 PM

I made my own out 50mm steel box & angle - they're really solid

I wrapped some strip I found rubber round the tops to save scrapeing the chassis

Hellfire - 26/9/08 at 05:26 PM

Milk crates. They're incredibly strong, cost nothing and can be handed back to your milkman when you've finished with em.

Phil

Ian D - 26/9/08 at 07:44 PM

I also used the saw horses from screwfix. Went to 4 when I fitted the engine in. Best thing is they create a good working height for you.

Ian Rescued attachment car on stand.JPG
Rescued attachment car on stand.JPG

Michael - 26/9/08 at 08:23 PM

Has been on Home Made Wooden Saw Horses (normaly made from roof or floor joists.

Currently on Axle stands, set at the highest, which leaves car about 17" from the ground.

MautoK - 30/9/08 at 07:50 PM

I made a table/framework about 8 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft out of speedframe with wood planks to protect the paintwork.
Saved no end of backache! I already had the speed frame, otherwise would have made a similar frame from 4 x 2.

MikeR - 3/10/08 at 11:46 AM

I went to B&Q and bought two of the 10 pound work mate equivilents. Put the 1" lump of MDF reinforced with steel ontop of it and build the chassis on that.

They'll take 250kg and have a margin of safety build in. For what i did, i was ok. If you're worried get three, one at teh front, one in the middle and one at the rear.

Biggest problem you'll have is getting the car off them.

iank - 3/10/08 at 12:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I went to B&Q and bought two of the 10 pound work mate equivilents. Put the 1" lump of MDF reinforced with steel ontop of it and build the chassis on that.

They'll take 250kg and have a margin of safety build in. For what i did, i was ok. If you're worried get three, one at teh front, one in the middle and one at the rear.

Biggest problem you'll have is getting the car off them.

Biggest problem is they can break if they see any significant twist well below their SWL.

Simon - 6/10/08 at 12:30 AM

I used the floor till I had running gear fitted, then mounted it on its wheels.

Can't get much more Locost than that

ATB

Simon

coozer - 7/10/08 at 07:53 PM

Give it a round of applause, not much more support needed IMO.