Board logo

Now TV box
britishtrident - 23/12/13 at 12:19 PM

Our FTTC broadband is getting installed so I ordered a Sky Now TV box for £9.99 I have no intention of paying a Sky subscription so it just really a toe in the water test for broadband TV BBCi Player and Demand 5 if works well in a few months I will see what else is available from Roku, Chromecast and others.

Link to Now TV Box review

[Edited on 23/12/13 by britishtrident]

chrism - 23/12/13 at 01:58 PM

Ive recently got one of these aswell, you dont get all the channels you would with a Roku Lt box (Which it is a cutdown version of it) but still pretty good, you do need to sign up for a nowTV account which is a free and you can also get a months free Movie pass.

There are a few good other channels over the iPlayer, 4OD and Demand5 (No ITV Player) and its worth the £10 for the UFO and conspiracy channel alone, Lol.

You can also sideload Plex client onto it and stream video from your pc/laptop.

johnny chimpo - 23/12/13 at 03:07 PM

Is there a list of channels available with this box?

britishtrident - 23/12/13 at 04:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johnny chimpo
Is there a list of channels available with this box?

Sky/Now TV are bit unclear on exactly what what free channels you get you get but the Sky subscription stuff is well covered the main thing you can't get is Netflix.
However for a £10 including delivery it has to be worth a punt just for BBCi Player alone especially if you have fibre broadband.
If you don't have an HDMI socket on your TV add £5 for a cable.
If it works for me I will buy a more versitile box and switch the Now box to another telly.

Ben_Copeland - 23/12/13 at 05:02 PM

We've got one in my sons room. It's mostly all on demand stuff. But you can side load some programs onto it. I've got Plex loaded which allows me to stream films from my brother in laws server in his house.

You can pay a subscription to get movies or sports if you don't have sky.

davidinhull - 1/1/14 at 05:08 PM

Hi

If possible could someone clarify, that after the initial£10 purchase, can you use this for bbc iplayer, 4od, and demand5 (but not itv player?) with no other costs or subscription?
All I want to do is watch those online services (itv player in addition would be even better, if anyone can suggest an option for that) on the tv rather than computer, so this seems a cheap way to do this - almost too cheap, hence my assumption there will be ongoing costs

Thanks

David

Ben_Copeland - 1/1/14 at 05:18 PM

Yes just don't sign up for the subscription bit. I didn't bother we just use the free bits.

Peteff - 3/1/14 at 12:43 PM

We bought a new LG 47LA620V smart telly and it has nowtv, iplayer and demand5 already on it and can access 4OD via the internet. I am very impressed with it so far.

matt_claydon - 3/1/14 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by davidinhull
Hi

If possible could someone clarify, that after the initial£10 purchase, can you use this for bbc iplayer, 4od, and demand5 (but not itv player?) with no other costs or subscription?
All I want to do is watch those online services (itv player in addition would be even better, if anyone can suggest an option for that) on the tv rather than computer, so this seems a cheap way to do this - almost too cheap, hence my assumption there will be ongoing costs

Thanks

David

A Samsung Blu-ray player will get you all the catch-up services, including ITV, plus loads of other on-demand apps like Lovefilm, Blinkbox, etc. Going to sting you for a bit more than a tenner though