Board logo

Road Speed Limit Review
TimC - 8/8/06 at 01:16 PM

Clicky!

Another reason why the next one won't be road registered.

[Edited on 8/8/06 by TimC]

ewan - 8/8/06 at 02:11 PM

What is the point, the speed cameras for Aberdeen to Dundee are all set for just over 80mph so it is just asking for trouble.

thunderace - 8/8/06 at 02:45 PM

kinfauns 3 points £60 fine was doing 56mph bugger trafic police in perth and dundee bugger A90 road.
its the only points i have ever had and im a white van man. Rescued attachment radar-cache-4.jpg
Rescued attachment radar-cache-4.jpg

skint scotsman - 8/8/06 at 02:59 PM

thats surely entrapment ???

gotta be illegal

DIY Si - 8/8/06 at 03:07 PM

Mmm 40 mph on rural roads? Any one know what a truck's limit would be? 20 mph if I remeber right! It's 40 on A roads as it is. And how the hell do they intend inforcing this?
Also reading that artile it appera that most of the whinging is about villages that don't currently have a 30 limit. There a few round my way like this, but everyone assumes it's 30 anyway! All a loads of balls either way.

David Jenkins - 8/8/06 at 03:08 PM

No - entrapment is where the police actively lead you into committing a crime that you may not otherwise have considered.

You had already decided all by yourself to break the law by speeding, so it is not entrapment. The morality or legality of hiding a camera in a wheeliebin is a totally different issue.

It has to be remembered that there is an extremely easy and 100% effective way to defeat all these speed traps and avoid points and fines - drive at the speed limits (not that I am innocent on that front... )

David

DIY Si - 8/8/06 at 03:18 PM

quote:

drive at the speed limits

Could do, but that's boring. Even in the works van that's boring. Anyways, I brought a sven type car to go sideways quickly!

craig1410 - 8/8/06 at 06:26 PM

All that's needed is for everyone who is charged with speeding to go to court and stop taking fixed penalty fines. The court system would almost instantly go into major backlog and would grind to a halt. I'm surprised that nobody has yet set up a "club" where you pay, say, £20 per year as a sort of insurance policy to cover the cost difference between a fixed penalty and the equivalent court fine. This fund could be used by all members as and when required with perhaps some limits put in place to prevent abuse of the system.

Obviously where you have been well over the speed limit you would be well advised to take a FP if offered it but for the most common minor speeding offences a scheme like this could be quite attractive.

Anyone heard of anything like this in practice?

Cheers,
Craig.

omega 24 v6 - 8/8/06 at 08:48 PM

Travelled on this road a lot as well and only flashed once (no NIP though). The wheely bin has got to be an effing liberty. What TF happened to plainly visible (as per gatso's) also were there markings on the road (if not you should have asked for the photo evidence and the calibration certificate. As for the new speed limit what is the basis for it? they are more likely to cause accidents. Picture the scene, you are still breaking the limits (cause you know you will) in your car or on your bike and you come round a corner to find yourself confronted by a 40 ton artic being overtaken by a JCB fasttrac (cause the local farmer knows there are no cameras or cops on that part of the road today he is local after all).
I like the sound of the £20 insurance idea but feel that it'd need to be kept secret from the courts as they'd try and clean out the bank account first time round. YOU CAN'T BEAT THE SYSTEM unless of course you know better.

DIY Si - 8/8/06 at 08:53 PM

What you really want are some of these: invisible plates

MkIndy7 - 8/8/06 at 09:05 PM

Many National Speed limit roads are that narrow, have poor visability and are actually dangerous that any sain person wouldn't/couldn't actualy do the national speed limit!.

I can see the point where a road goes through villages fair enough, but for the majority of other roads the speed limits might as well be 200mph for what difference it makes.

It more to do with peoples perception of speed entering the corners and hazards etc that causes them to crash not the fact that they may have been doing 62mph on the straight shortly before.

Alot of corners a safe and often used speed maybe 20mph, does that mean that should be the new limit?