Board logo

4AGE Zorst rattle?
jmbillings - 19/5/05 at 08:08 AM

Hullo.

We've been trying to track down a rattle/buzz coming from our exhaust system. We have a 4AGE and the raw manifold, along with an MK stainless silencer.
We did find a nut rattling around between the side panel and the interior trim, so this was extractified. Also, one of the downpipes going into the collector was loose so a small blob of weld has been put on... but it still buzzes (at around 3000-4000 rpm).
Anyone else have similar? We are wondering if it is just a characteristic of the engine that at a certain rpm, pulses of exhaust gas cause a resonance in the system. Its odd, because we used to have a home made silencer and exactly the same happened then!

James n Steve.

Kelvin - 19/5/05 at 09:49 AM

The only time I get a rattle/buzz from the 4A-GE in my MR2 is when the exhaust hanger is touching the bodywork, apart from that, never. Is it a metallic noise more than a blowing manifold gasket noise?

Andy North - 19/5/05 at 11:50 AM

My 4AGE has always had a budgie chirping at about 3000rpm. I think it eminates from the alternator belt? The engine never really gets to rev that low so I have yet to do anything about it.

givemethebighammer - 19/5/05 at 07:33 PM

My "Wunoff" silencer has a slight rattle at about 3000rpm, but apparently they all do. Something about the perforated tube working slightly loose ?

The sound of the carbs soon drown it out so I don't worry about it