Board logo

X Flow 1600cc Engine Mods and Tweeks?
Gremlin - 9/7/02 at 10:14 AM

What mods and tweaks can be done to a X Flow 1600cc and what is the sort of power output can i expect. What sort of performance can I expect against a blade engine? 0-60 times, etc?

Sorry to keep annoying people with probably silly questions but its my first locost and want to get the right engine choice. I’ve read all threads and looked over the internet and am still confused probably more so than when I started this crazy idea! Help Please!!! ARRRGGHHHHHHH

Fatboy Dave - 9/7/02 at 05:16 PM

Hmmm, couldn't have asked a harder question, could you?

If you want bike engine performance, then you really need a bike engine. A fast road cam and a ported cylinder head could be added to the XF, but you really need to get a pair of 40 DCOEs on there to make best use of the work you get done. A secondhand cylinder head with the nescesary work done can be had secondhand from someone like speedshack, but once you start spending money, you had better be certain of what you want, tomake sure you haven't got the wrong engine to start with.

As for performance, well, a ported head, cam, and twin 40s on a standard capacity should get you about 100-105bhp? Good for around 6.5 to sixty I should think.

Gremlin - 9/7/02 at 10:57 PM

Thats a start thanks. I was looking at over boring it to possibly 1700cc!

marcjagman - 12/7/02 at 10:49 PM

What can't you do to a 1600 X-flow, bore to 1740, twin webber's, balancedand lightened, big valves, high lift cam good for about 164BHP.

paulf - 13/7/02 at 09:24 PM

Why not fit thecrossflow as standard and get the car running and then upgrade to a bike engine once SVA tested and on the road?. This is what I am doing , I have had a blade engine sitting ready to go into the car since i started it but it is easier to get on the road with a car engine to start with ands then change it.
It is very expensive to tune a crossflow to give good power and a bike engine will work out cheaper and comes with a free sequential gearbox.
Paul.

quote:
What can't you do to a 1600 X-flow, bore to 1740, twin webber's, balancedand lightened, big valves, high lift cam good for about 164BHP.

Gremlin - 14/7/02 at 10:19 PM

Paulf that sounds like a good idea it was a toss up between a car or bike engine anyway. Plus it is my first attempt to the X flow will hopefully be a little more straight forward than zetec or other. Thanks all for advice!

Gremlin - 18/8/02 at 10:02 PM

160Bhp out of a mofified x flow 1700. What is that per ton? What 0-60 would that be ruffly?

JohnFol - 19/8/02 at 11:27 AM

I'd have thought 160 is pushing it a bit.
For a really detailed discussion on what can be done, check out http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/cflow.htm

johnston - 19/8/02 at 04:19 PM

160 aint pushin to far outta 1700xflow any1 remember the blue anglia in classic fojrd bout a year ago 150bhp outta 1300 PRE-crossflow

locodude - 19/8/02 at 05:14 PM

Yeah, on jenvey throttle bodies too! A fuel injected x-flow now that's the way to go!
Chris PTM

johnston - 19/8/02 at 10:18 PM

steel crank and rods l& b 45mm throttle bodies big valve and ported head and a cam 4 branch etc etc mmmm........ 2nd choice for my bubble arched mk1 (when i eventually get 1)

Jon Ison - 20/8/02 at 08:44 AM

how much would this steel cranked, rod'd, cammed, carb'd, big valved, ported, flowed, ect... 160bhp 7-8k rpm screamer cost ?
rest my case.......anchor.

locodude - 20/8/02 at 07:49 PM

Jon
F**k off!
Chris PTM

Jon Ison - 20/8/02 at 09:13 PM

i take that as more than a jap machine then ?

locodude - 20/8/02 at 10:45 PM

Yes came the reply, but at least it was British you jap loving rice eating saki drinking etc.............
Chris PTM
I love you really Jon, although not in the biblical sense!

chazpowerslide - 25/8/02 at 04:49 PM

At about 120kg the Xf is a light motor this makes it ideal in a locost type car. the lighter the car the less power you need..............

jmbillings - 26/8/02 at 03:40 PM

Our 1600 (with a mild cam, bit of porting in head, K&N, and lightened flywheel) was putting out 78 at the wheels on rollers. Not sure what the flywheel figure would be, but probably mid 90-100 ish