Board logo

smokey dohc
andybuff - 17/7/02 at 06:34 PM

ive just got a j plate dohc thats a smoker the garage has recently put a re con head on so it isnt guides and stem seals compression good so i dont think its rings any ideas lads?

bob - 17/7/02 at 07:01 PM

Is it an auto?

andybuff - 17/7/02 at 07:17 PM

no its manual mt75 box

bob - 17/7/02 at 08:15 PM

Ask theconrodkid he's the mechanical brains

Fatboy Dave - 17/7/02 at 08:51 PM

Quite probably worn oil control rings on the pistons. Wouldn't show on a compression test as the main rings are keeping the compression.

Also, get a leakdown test done (150psi put in the engine with the plugs out, see how much pressure is lost over time). Lets you know the head gasket is OK and the head/block faces aren't warped.

Also, what were the compression readings, and were they all similarand within 5-10% of new? Did you do a wet test or just a dry test.

theconrodkid - 17/7/02 at 10:45 PM

What colour is the smoke?blue is oil,black is fuel,whiteish is brake fluid and white is water these engines are prone to trouble,best thing is to burn it

johnston - 18/7/02 at 01:36 PM

Brake Fluid!!!!!!!!! have i missed something

Fatboy Dave - 18/7/02 at 02:44 PM

Yeah, facked mastercylinder/servos can let fluid be sucked into the inlet manifold via the servos vacuum line.

Pretty alarming stuff

johnston - 18/7/02 at 09:41 PM

never came across that 1 although i was told that brake fluid is a good way to see if the rings are shot if your low on compression