Board logo

Upper seat belt mounts
johnemms - 15/8/11 at 03:26 PM

So I take it these will not pass IVA ..
Has anyone a pic of a 'pass' that i should adopt?
cheers
jon

[img][/img]

sprouts-car - 15/8/11 at 04:18 PM

Whats wrong with them?

40inches - 15/8/11 at 04:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sprouts-car
Whats wrong with them?

For some reason the OP has started another thread! http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/29/viewthread.php?tid=159568

big_wasa - 15/8/11 at 04:32 PM

They would if the bush went all the way through the tube and was welded both sides.

johnemms - 15/8/11 at 05:12 PM

I am tempted to drill right through so you could see the thread & weld top n bottom
but someone said the tube had to be the same diameter as the roll bar..

I did think of putting a long 8.8 bolt straight through the bar and into the top seat rail...
[img][/img]

Sorry for the double post but was originaly asking for pictures of 'passes' .. just for ideas of which way to go...

[Edited on 15/8/11 by johnemms]

[Edited on 15/8/11 by johnemms]

stevegough - 16/8/11 at 08:55 AM

'Someone said' - sorry, but when you are unsure, go through the IVA manual, because 'someone', however well meaning they are, may not be right? My car has a roll-over bar (part of the original chassis from Luego) which is 45mm diameter, and I got a local blacksmith to weld on the support for the 4x top mounts as it didn't have one. This was done in 35mm dia. In addition, the mounting nuts are only fitted to one side of this bar. I don't see any real problem with your current set - up - also - I don't think you even need to worry about the radius issues as the 100mm sphere won't touch the mounts.

johnemms - 16/8/11 at 09:17 AM

I knew I'd seen this done on here ...
Thats why I was asking who had passed IVA with yours & mine type of fitting...

Or is there anyone producing a chassis with that fitting ??
Ah well ... :p

wicket - 16/8/11 at 08:04 PM

Here's what it actually says in the IVA manual

[Quote]

Threaded bushes should be welded (at both ends) through the tube, and not end mounted on the surface. (A threaded bush may be attached by its side surface to a structural component).

[Quote]

Section 19 Annexe 3 Page 6

blakep82 - 16/8/11 at 08:13 PM

if steve's passed, even though its not as stated in the manual, i want to know if mine WILL actually pass now.
seat belt eye
seat belt eye

manual says threaded bushes should pass through and be welded at both ends, mine aren't threaded bushes, soooo... lol

if steves passed, you're is prctically identical, so seems good. but beware, its not how the manual says it should be

stevegough - 16/8/11 at 08:26 PM

Mine are not threaded bushes, mine are 7/16 (IIRC) nuts.

blakep82 - 16/8/11 at 08:42 PM

so very short threaded bushes then

stevegough - 16/8/11 at 09:44 PM

nuts.

adithorp - 16/8/11 at 09:46 PM

If I recall the SVA manual (assume the IVA one is the same) then Steve's shouldn't have passed. I think there are pictures of what is and isn't allowed. Surface mounted/welded wasn't i seem to remember.

Strontium Dog - 16/8/11 at 09:46 PM

From my understanding of the IVA manual they should fail. I would weld fully threaded bushes in that pass through and weld both ends if it were me anyway seeing as those two mountings are going to take most of the forces when you are hung in your harness during a front end crash.

[Edited on 16/8/11 by Strontium Dog]

designer - 18/8/11 at 08:47 AM

Looking at the photos.

The belt will go down to get through the slots, but will they go up again to pass over your shoulders?

If so that could be a problem.

eddie99 - 18/8/11 at 10:47 AM

Yeah i think the bigger problem is for them to go over the driver/passengers shoulders, they will be putting force on the top of the seat hole. I believe this is a fail but again, check IVA manual.

Neville Jones - 18/8/11 at 02:49 PM

The mount bushes need to be through and welded both sides, as said already.

The belt openings in the seat look OK. Check the height of the openings with what is required on the IVA website.

http://online.businesslink.gov.uk/Transport_files/124_IVA_M1_Inspection_Manual__Version_4.pdf

Pages 205 and 206.

Why doesn't every one building a car look at this IVA document??? You should know it from one end to the other before you even get started on a build!!!!

Cheers,
Nev.