Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear indicators
Crockpot

posted on 3/12/20 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Rear indicators

I'm trying to find some small (but still bright) rear indicators, maybe an LED one with a lens of about 25mm diameter.
Does anyone know of such a thing that will be BIVA acceptable?

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/12/20 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
Car builder solutions do have a huge range on their online shop. Although for the IVA. I'd just stick some cheap Honda factory indicators on pass the test then bung them on gumtree and fit ones you want. The IVA doesn't mean you have to keep it just as it was at the test.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Crockpot

posted on 4/12/20 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you, sound advice MrWhippy. I'll go with that.
nick205

posted on 4/12/20 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Honda (or other motorcycle) indicators would seem the place to start. Try motorcycle breakers and see what they have for cheap from written off bikes.
Johnmor

posted on 4/12/20 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree with above for IVA,

Front and rear indicators are 21w standard, siderepeaters can be 5w,
Some of the small after market indicators may not be bright enough and may fail an IVA

Remember LED bulbs will mess with the flasher relay and require a way of increasing the load to ensure flash duration is suitable , most flasher relays operate with a load of around 45w-90w, this ensures both indicators and hazards operate at the correct speed.

Of course that's old school, modern electronics can solve most of the issues for LED light etc

Fiat Uno side repeaters are around 28mm diameter , only 5W but an LED bulb may increase the brightness

Good luck

Crockpot

posted on 4/12/20 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.
I will stick with what I know will pass and change after it hopefully passes.

CorseChris

posted on 26/12/20 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Put my car in for IVA recently with tiny CBS side repeaters for front indicators - there's no specification for the size, only that they are E marked. As for brightness, they are plenty bright - don't look directly at them.

It failed on a few things, but front indicators wasn't one of them.

Crockpot

posted on 27/12/20 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply. I had thought of the small CBS ones but I'm not sure if they would be ok. I'll revisit them and perhaps buy one to have a play with.
CorseChris

posted on 27/12/20 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I wasn't sure at first and had picked some small motorcycle type LED units, properly marked etc...but they weren't very bright. I already had a pair of the CBS ones for side repeaters and they appeared about twice as bright to my eyes, and had a much better viewing angle too, so after checking the IVA manual, I decided to give them a go.

Other than a careful look at all the light fittings to check for appropriate markings and placement, these didn't get a second glance or a comment.

I absolutely get the angst about these details though!!

Crockpot

posted on 29/12/20 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have sourced something suitable from CBS, thank you for the replies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.