Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vin plate
mogie

posted on 15/2/03 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
vin plate

do i need the vin plate and log book of my single doner for the sva and do i need the clocks an switches

Peteff

posted on 16/2/03 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
vin plates

Your car should have a VIN number of its own allocated by your local vehicle licensing authority. You have to fill in the appropriate forms and have your car inspected to prove it actually exists, even if it's still only in bits, then the number willbe sent to you. The switches and dials are optional as long as they comply to present regulations and in the case of speedo are within certain percentages at 10mph intervals and do not read lower than actual speed. Your best option is to get hold of a copy of a manual or find a website with the regs on it, several people on here have them. Try Chrisg for example.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Jim

posted on 16/2/03 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
On my bought MK chasis I just made up a VIN number. Is this an exception to the rule? Both mine and my dad's VIN number were made up by ourselves. We chose something that looked goos as a number.

Jim

David Jenkins

posted on 17/2/03 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I believe that this is perfectly OK, as long as the vehicle licencing authority says the number is good - it should have 10 - 15 characters, preferably a mix of numbers and characters, and must be unique (000000001 won't do it!).

cheers,

David

bob

posted on 12/3/03 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
VIN

I called my local VRO today to sort out the chassis number,the girl i spoke to was very helpfull and is sending appropriate forms.
But she did say that no way would i be allowed to make up my own number,and as far as she was concerned it was probably ilegal.

So that totally confused me as i know the Robinhood boys in Nottingham use part of their chassis invoice number to make up the VIN.
She laughed at this and said no way.

So as far as i'm concerned chassis numbers mean absolutely nothing and i might as well just use the sierra one .

Or maybe not,i'll write a letter to the VRO and ask for a number and see what happens.

theconrodkid

posted on 12/3/03 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
the various offices seem to make their own rules up as they go along,maybee they should get together and sort their lives out

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

CairB

posted on 12/3/03 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
When I applied for a VIN no. at Manchester I was sent a set of forms to fill out, including an application for registration. I then had an inspector call to inspect the vehicle, visual check on engine no. She was most helpful, giving me a VIN no. and details of what I needed to do to get registered once the SVA was passed. I think it helps to speak to the local VRO well ahead of applying for SVA.
Mark Allanson

posted on 12/3/03 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
"it should have 10 - 15 characters"

All VIN numbers since 1980 must have 17 digits

If helps any?

merlin

posted on 12/3/03 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ring the SVA office and ask them, after all they are the ones responsible for passing the vehicle and ensuring that it's legal. They told me to make my own number up and all paperwork issued by them states my chassis number on it. Surely this is now legally my chassis number?! If I have this completely wrong please let me know, my test is on Monday!!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave Ashurst

posted on 12/3/03 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Merlin,
That's exactly what the SVA told me too. I also confirmed it on the phone with the VRO.

My made up 17 digit VIN number worked fine (registered 12 months ago).

Dave

bob

posted on 13/3/03 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Well i'm not going to try and phone the Stanmore VRO again,as i wasted nearly half a day off on weds.

I'm going to go with the flow and try my luck with the 17 digit route,can anyone give me some clues as to how the letters and numbers are formed ?.
ie: how many letters how many numbers.

david walker

posted on 13/3/03 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
It's up to the local VRO what VIN number you have. In Notts you make up your own. In some areas they insist on giving you one. It's not the law, it's local petty beurocracy. Mine is 15 digits long, not 17. - So another myth dispelled.

The Notts VRO people are really helpfull, it's a pity that more of these "jobsworth" types around the country aren't.

Look in my photos and see a copy of my SVA certificate if you don't believe me.

Arguments thrive where facts are scarce.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

bob

posted on 13/3/03 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks david

I really want it all to be above board,but for sure the VRO i called were about as helpfull as a fish with tits.

Maybe i should have moved house to say Nottingham and then SVA'd in Derby where it seems they have allowances

paulf

posted on 13/3/03 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Vin no .

I am also near to needing a vin number and am going to try my chances and make my own up. Surely all the major motor manufacturers just make up the number, they cant all apply to vro offices or swansea to have a million vin nos issued.Once the car is SVA tested i dont see how the vro can object.
Paul.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/3/03 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I had this VIN discussion on the robin hood 2b site a while back.

They DO make up the vin number, based in it being

ROBINHOODXXXXXXX

WITH THE X MAKING UP 17 DIGITS

and being their invoice number.

I suspect making up your vin is illegal, but it probably dont get noticed.

A VERY IMPORTANT thing is it MUST be original.

So, dont use your donors. Swansea will wonder why you are trying to reg a locost as a 1987 red 1.6l sierra....cos those details will come up.

I have a theory on how you can safely make up a non conflicting one.....

http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/vin.html

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/xjfaq/vin.htm

read this.

Its for ferrari and jag but the basic make up holds good - the numbers standing

just change the 9th digit. use all the rest.

as long as the 9th digit is different, you are home and dry. you could if you want change other digits to make it auto instead of manual, but either way, the number will be unique.

atb

steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/3/03 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I am also near to needing a vin number and am going to try my chances and make my own up. Surely all the major motor manufacturers just make up the number, they cant all apply to vro offices or swansea to have a million vin nos issued.Once the car is SVA tested i dont see how the vro can object.
Paul.

I dont see why they dont have a block of numbers issued.........car dealers dont make up number plates.......i recon the reality is that once swansea knows the basic format, then the mfr just changes the appropriate digits....

david walker

posted on 15/3/03 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I MOT'd my car before SVA. Quite legal, got it insured, drove to test sation, passed MOT. MOT certificate showed VIN number which I had made up.

VIN plate is small piece of polished stainless, made and stamped by me at home and held to chassis with two pop rivets. Quite legal, checked by SVA man - no need to weld it to chassis, or hard stamp into chassis. - I know this is not point of discussion, but is one that often comes up.

When my car passed SVA, I immediately went to Nottingham VRO as it is on way home from SVA station. I had already filled out paperwork - stood in queue but then found out the two "inspectors" were both out. Left my phone number.

Later in the day an inspector phoned, and arranged to visit me at home the next day. There's no charge for this. It was summer and he arrived at said time in a tee shirt and shorts! He turned out to be main man and was the person responsible for assisting Robin Hood devise their VIN number system. He explained how their VIN number helps RH track the history of the car. He categorically told me that the VIN number, as long as is unique is up to builder. We had the discussion about other authorities (ie Lincs, where I have friends with Locosts) and he said that was up the them, he couldn't understand why they wanted to burden themselves with the task of issuing numbers and there was definitly no legal requirement for this to be the case.

The "inspection" took about 15 mins, although he was with with me longer having a chat and could not have been more helpful. He phoned next morning, having confirmed that my chassis number was unique, and issued me with registration number verbally, to allow me to obtain plates. Paperwork followed day after after which I got tax disc.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

merlin

posted on 16/3/03 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
chassis number

I used simply -

SHLOCOST7200301

SH being my initials
2003 being the year
01 being the month
and the middle bit for the hard of hearing or Bob is the make of car!

Have had this confimed by the Vehicle Inspectorate and took me all of 10 seconds to think it up!!!
SVA tommorow! Ooooooooooooooh Shhiiiiiiiiiiiiitttt!!!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeyG

posted on 22/3/03 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
You should try getting a VIN number in Southampton -- The inspection was fine (although i had to rent a trailer as i wasn't allowed to drive to the particular test station) but once the number was issued i had to get it stamped in by a 'MOT station or franchised dealership'. This would have been fine but i couldn't find a station with a set of stamps -- and although the local SVA & DVLA office people knew of a place they wouldn't tell me since "that would constitute unfair trade". All in all it's waisted 5 weeks of build time, jezza's been ready all that time & i've just been polishing her! I had a trailer her to the Midlands in the end, just to visit a friend who happens to own an MOT station where i could take my own stamps to get it done......Does anyone else feel like they are making every effort to keep our cars off of the road? Rescued attachment P2190223 - small.jpg
Rescued attachment P2190223 - small.jpg

dodgyroger

posted on 24/4/03 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure if this thread has done itself to death yet but if anyone is still interrested, I found this desciption of how to interpret the new 17 char VIN codes. See
http://www.autoinsurancetips.com/vin.htm

Roger

http://www.dodgyroger.com/locost

James

posted on 30/4/03 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
the various offices seem to make their own rules up as they go along,maybee they should get together and sort their lives out

I quite like the fact that they're all different. If they got together it'd involve a load of bureacracy and they'd probably close any loopholes we can currently use.

The way things are currently means you can effectively phone round the different places until you get the answer you want!

Cheers,

James

...still determined to blag a 'new' plate if at all possible...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.