Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emissions test?
andrew-theasby

posted on 10/4/03 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Emissions test?

Would i be right in thinking that if i use a pre '93 engine in my car, when i have the SVA test done ill be able to use that cars registration number then due to its age the car will never need another emissions test for its MOT in the future. If so, what would happen if they say it has to be a Q reg would it then be classed as brand new? Sorry if youve heard this a million times before!!
stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/4/03 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
this is really screwed up and wrong - you havnt got things straight.

Any ENGINE later than a certain date (93 - 95 - dunno) HAS to have a cat fitted - regardless of registration date or whatever.

The reg plate you get depends. Usually, if you can prove your parts, inc engine, come from a single donor in the main, and have receipts for the chasis or steel to prove its a new chassis, you will get a plate of the same age as the donor - ie E reg gets an E plate.

The only way you get a new reg is if all parts are NEW and can be proven NEW - with the exception of a single item - usually engine.

A Q is given if the above two things cant be proven.

You can NEVER keep the VIN or reg numbers from the donor. Technically you can have the number plate transferred, but whats special about that and it will cost you a couple hundred quid more.

atb

steve

ps

DVLA web site explains most of this,

andrew-theasby

posted on 11/4/03 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
So why are so many people telling me to put it through the sva on a crossflow engine then when its passed put the vauxhall or zetec in? How do they know if the engine is a pre '93 if its not out of the donor car, and if its a Q plate what year will it be classed as for the mot whether i need a cat or not? Thanks
David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/03 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
If you're trying to get an engine through an easier emission test you will have to supply documentary evidence of its age, based on the engine number. This has to come from some official source, e.g. Ford Technical Services.

If you don't have the evidence, you get tested as if it was a brand-new engine - no matter whether it's a Zetec or a X-flow! And there's no way that a X-flow will pass...

Mind you, this is only if the tester's in an awkward mood, as they should know when they stopped making X-flows... but they may simply have to follow the rules issued by their bosses.

Safer to get the document.

David

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/4/03 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew-theasby
So why are so many people telling me to put it through the sva on a crossflow engine then when its passed put the vauxhall or zetec in?

As David says, you still need to prove engine age. If you can prove you have a compliant engine, by its date, you can get it through sva on a higher percent CO.

You can THEN change it to some other engine thats not 'emissions legal'.

The point is you have a documented, conforming engine for SVA, then you change it to summat thats not, and hope no one notices....

atb

steve

[Edited on 11/4/03 by stephen_gusterson]

andrew-theasby

posted on 11/4/03 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, thats what i needed to know, will it make any difference to the emissions my engine puts out if i change it over to carbs then rather than injection?
Wadders

posted on 11/4/03 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, it will be worse. injection engines run cleaner than carbed engines.

Originally posted by andrew-theasby
Thanks, thats what i needed to know, will it make any difference to the emissions my engine puts out if i change it over to carbs then rather than injection?

MikeyG

posted on 13/4/03 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Technically it doesn't matter how old the engine is - you dont have to have a CAT. I went for my test on 9/4/3 with a new rover K series engine & they were supprised when i informed them that a CAT was fitted. As long as it is nicely tuned then you can pass the emissions test without a cat.
Having said that i failed the emissions test since the engine was running too ritch & i didn't have my laptop with me to turn it down a bit
Hence it's not always true that injectors run cleaner than carbs It'll only be the case if youre running closed loop with a lambda sensor.

david walker

posted on 14/4/03 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
It's nothing to do with how awkward the inspector is, he will want to see your proof of engine age. He will also photo copy your paperwork.

You will be enormously lucky to get a post 93 engine through an emmission test without a Cat. You will definitely fail on carbs. If the inspector is suprised about your Cat it is because most people avoid Cats by fitting earlier engines.

Most modern factory fitted injection systems are closed loop type. Can't think of one that isn't. Mapable systems probably can be run so lean as to get through without a Cat but such luxuries are rare on Locosts!

After your SVA, and for future MOTs' the test is only visual anyway.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

andrew-theasby

posted on 14/4/03 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by david walker
After your SVA, and for future MOTs' the test is only visual anyway.

Thanks, but how do you mean its only visual? I think im probably going to use a pinto to get it through the test then put my vauxhall in, would this be the best idea?

david walker

posted on 14/4/03 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Swopping engines later is much easier said than done - particularly to go from Ford to Vauxhall. (Don't forget the Pinto has the exhaust / carbs on the opposite side to most others.

Why don't you fit your Vauxhall now? Is it post 92? If so fit an earlier Vauxhall for emmissions purposes.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/4/03 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
if 1989 counts as modern, the lucas / bosch efi fitted to the jag V12 in 1989 didnt have a lambda sensor on uk models - but at that time the car didnt have cats. That came 2 years later with a lambda sensor.

atb

steve

PS

if you have ever been behind a 5.3 litre car like the jag you will know what emissions are......a few times I spotted people winding windows behind me - even tho engine was in good tune its the equivalent of 3 family saloons coming at you with fumes.

andrew-theasby

posted on 15/4/03 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Is it definitely 93 not 95 for the cat, and if i get a pre cat vauxhall 2.0 16v (if there is such a thing) then will it still be ok after ive taken the injection off and put carbs on or would this make it fail? Thanks
david walker

posted on 15/4/03 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, no by modern I meant injection systems designed to run with Cats for post 92 emmission controls. Yeah i know what you mean about those XJS' - isn't that why they did about 10 to the gallon!!!

Andrew, use a Vauxhall 2.0XE, it's the best one anyway and doesn't need a Cat (from 89 to 92 Astra) - if you do though make sure you plan ahead as it won't fit into a bog standard book chassis (too tall and too wide at the top ....)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.