Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: open question to Mr Henderson
mad-butcher

posted on 20/10/08 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
open question to Mr Henderson

Hi John
If you're looking for work to fund a pipe bender why not produce front upper wishbones for the mk indy, with the ball joint mount moved back by about 15mm to cure the self centering and also instead of being threaded be capable of taking the alloy camber adjuster. I'm not worried about it being kicked up.
I'm sure there would be a market for it
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 20/10/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
While you're at it, why not make them to accept rod ends too for full adjustability.

I also have a design drawn up for replacement rear upper and lower wishbones for the Indy. Aimed at providing toe adjustment and re-located lower damper mounting point to allow for increased suspension travel.

Happy to share the ideas and I'd be interested in a set being made too

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/10/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
if anyone is bothered about the upper wishbone location, why not simply cut off the mounting brackets and re-weld further back? Should take all of an hour to do.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad-butcher

posted on 20/10/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I would do but I want a wishbone that will take the camber adjusters instead of having to disconnect the top balljoint from the mushroom and only then being able to set it too within one turn of the balljoint.in other words a complete package.
Tony

nick205

posted on 20/10/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have a welder (or the inclination to start hacking my car about)

I'd also like more adjustability built into the car too.

aka Keith

posted on 20/10/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
mr H, I would aslo be interested in this, depending on price ofcourse (it is locost). (Like nick205 no welding factilites in my garage you see)

Cheers
Craig

whitestu

posted on 20/10/08 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested in a set as well.

Stu

mad-butcher

posted on 20/10/08 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I want to be able to use these,
I'd even send one of my wishbones as a
template
Just to add they are availiable from gts at about £50 a pair, which I think is a fair price,
unfortunately for darren I'm not prepared to chase around for delivery, do a search on gts.

[Edited on 20/10/08 by mad-butcher] Rescued attachment DAR013.JPG
Rescued attachment DAR013.JPG

mookaloid

posted on 20/10/08 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
I want to be able to use these,
I'd even send one of my wishbones as a template

I'll be wanting some of those soon

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mr henderson

posted on 20/10/08 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Well, since it's an open question then I guess it needs an open answer.

Unfortunately although I am well set up for chassis making, I never intended to offer wishbones. Naturally in the light of such enquiries I would normally be reconsidering but I have now become involved in a project to prototype a new kit car and I think it would be best if I stuck to that for the time being.

From what I remember of the MK wishbones the top units are bent to shape? I know that is how Martin was doing them in the very early Locost days.

Has anybody approached him or the current MK producers regarding what should be only comparatively slight modifications to their existing units?

It's usually cheaper and quicker for an exisiting producer to modify a current design for which they have all the jigs and other tools than for somebody else to tackle such a job from scratch.

Thanks for the interest

John

[Edited on 20/10/08 by mr henderson]

3GEComponents

posted on 20/10/08 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
We're currently doing this to the wishbones for the Haynes Roadster, as Mr H isn't in the postion to do wishbones, it's something we'd be more than happy to look at.

Feel free to U2U us with any questions.

Regards

John

Hellfire

posted on 20/10/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Something like these?

Front wishbones
Front wishbones

Phil

mad-butcher

posted on 20/10/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Phil
Them's the dogs bollocks
I assume by being rose joints you can alter caster to aid the self centering
who and how much,
look's like martins work but I know mac1 were working on a set like that
info please
tony

Bluemoon

posted on 20/10/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I would order a set with the correct caster.. Not worried about spherical ends though, would rather have original ploy inserts..

Dan,

Hellfire

posted on 20/10/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
You may find that your existing top wishbones are made to the correct dimensions. Have you measured your O/S and N/S castor angles?

Phil

bob

posted on 20/10/08 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Keep us up to date if these bones are going to be made available as i would be interested

GTS were making indy top wishbones with the top ball joint adjuster. pretty sure zetec (kevin) had a set on his car.
Only prob being darrens reliability need i say more.

Hellfire

posted on 20/10/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
We had some GTS wishbones with built in camber adjusters and found they weren't very good. It was a PITA to adjust the camber on them because you couldn't get onto the adjuster with a ring spanner or socket due to the 'V' shape/design. Only way to adjust them was with an open ended spanner, turning them bit by bit at a jaunty angle

Phil

[Edited on 20-10-08 by Hellfire]

bob

posted on 20/10/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Grabbed this pic from zetec's archive

bob

posted on 20/10/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers phil, yes i can see from the picture i have put up exactly what you mean.

Bluemoon

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Phil,

Good point should actually measure the caster, but the kit is a 2004 one, I didn't know that MK sports cars had changed the caster angle on latter Indys..

Cheers

Dan

procomp

posted on 21/10/08 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi.

Just a few suggestions that may save some of you wasting money.

1. the trouble with the MK indy chassis and bracket positions is that they are all inconsistent. Ie one car may have 1 deg of Castor on the left and 4 deg on the right but another car may have 3 deg on the left and 0 deg on the right. Obviously this means that you will find the use of rose joints invaluable to try and correct this apparent lack of accurate jigging on the chassis.

2. Why not put the correct angle onto a new top wishbone. It is this angle on the end that has led to a few of the top joints coming apart as the transit joint is not in it's mid position of available travel at static ride height. This means that it reaches the end of it's travel before the damper or suspension has. If changing top wishbones you may as well correct this problem also.

3. the first thing i would suggest before having just top wishbones made is to get the whole car geometry setup checked as you may also want to be correcting the difference in wheelbase of either side while having new wishbones made. But it is also wort finding out where the thrust line is down the car as this may affect what decisions you are going to have to make. It maybe you actually need a new set of front top and bottom wishbones ideally fully adjustable but this will to some extent be down to how poorly the rear end has also been jigged into the chassis affecting the thrust alignment and rear toe situation.

HTH cheers Matt

whitestu

posted on 21/10/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
My only reason for being interested is to get a decent bit of self centreing on the car.

Having said that I haven't had my suspension set up properly so maybe it's worth doing this and then seeing how it self centres.
The only downsite is if it's no better and suspension modifications are needed then its wasted money.

Stu

Syd Bridge

posted on 21/10/08 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe it's me being a bit blind, but out of curiousity, what stops those GTS adjuster things from turning in the tube, when all is finished being adjusted? There's nothing visible to me.

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 21/10/08 by Syd Bridge]

Hellfire

posted on 21/10/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Won't the locking nut prevent the adjuster from turning in the tube? The actual adjuster is slightly shorter than the tube itself.

Phil

Syd Bridge

posted on 21/10/08 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Won't the locking nut prevent the adjuster from turning in the tube? The actual adjuster is slightly shorter than the tube itself.

Phil

The locking nut appears to be on the drag link. No visible threads on the adjuster sleeve thingy, and you say it stops short of the end of the tube.

So what stops the adjuster sleeve thingy from turning?

Cheers,
Syd.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.