Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Update....
MakeEverything

posted on 3/11/11 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
have you seen how many views this thread has had!! car looks fantastic mate cant wait to see it finished your going to have a very unique car there.

Thanks Lewis,

The thread has been running for a while now, and ive also got a blog which is updated and has quite a few hits as well!

I havent managed to find anyone anywhere else that has suoercharged this particular engine, so it is a little bit of a novelty. Driving to the MOT station yesterday was fantastic, and the power band was just kicking in when it got to a part of the map that needs tuning (Higher RPm) so havent had a chance to see its full potential yet. I might need to change the cam, because the OE camshaft will be set up to account for lag.

Either way, ive decided to carry on, but have some university assignments to get out of the way now, so i dont think i'll make the retest deadline.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MakeEverything

posted on 3/11/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Had a look at my car this afternoon (which is still parked at my Dads with few electrons left!) and have diagnosed two of the main problems and fixed one.

The brakes.
The master cylinder has a VACUUM ASSISTED SERVO. Clue is in the title really, but it hadnt occurred to me that when removing the old engine, i had removed the old vacuum hose and tied it to one side with the heater hoses. I found this this afternoon, reconnected it and tried the brakes. They work!

Gear Shift Linkage
Looking into the darkest depths of the transmission tunnel, i could see that the cable has unscrewed itself from the fitting and hasnt broken at all. Result. Just need to find a smurf to get in there and re-screw it into the thread!

All in all, quite positive, but it doesnt solve the alternator problem?????

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 5/11/11 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust redux

This afternoon i got over to have a look at the exhaust and quieten it down using the V6 mondeo rear box that i bought yesterday.

Its so much better, and even sounds as though it does run a little smoother though anything sounds smoother than the original exhaust! - Might make another one like that as a drag exhaust!!

[Edited on 5-11-11 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

scudderfish

posted on 5/11/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
But can you still get 3ft flames out of it?

MakeEverything

posted on 5/11/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
But can you still get 3ft flames out of it?

Not sure, i'll have to give it a go!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 21/1/12 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
January Update...

Well ive had to take the engine out to replace the lower alternator bolts due to stripping the threads. Now ive got it out, im thinking i might take advantage and do a little bit more;

Now im looking at some jobs to make my life easier and improve reliability;

1. Aluminium Fuel Tank
  2. Tidy and finalise the wiring, checking the charging circuit
  3. Install solid fuel lines with quick connectors to the engine, reducing trailing hoses
  4. improve bottom coolant housing
  5. improve supercharger mountings to give increased tensioning
  6. solid supercharger pipework to reduce flexible hoses and potential leaks

At the moment, thats about it in addition to the alternator bolts. Im sure there will be other things that come up!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 22/1/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Flywheel Lightening

This afternoon, i went to a mates house to abuse his axminster, and this is the result following centering onto a rotary table and setting up.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 22/1/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
This is the hub that i plan to have cut. The hole in the centre is for a shank to be inserted to align the table and flywheel on the table using the chuck on the mill.

[Edited on 22-1-12 by MakeEverything]

[Edited on 22-1-12 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 4/2/12 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Had a good productive afternoon once i got going. Managed to remove the supercharger and make up a tensioner on the existing brackets. Somehow, the nose is dipping down so the belt is twisting slightly now, but ill sort that next time i go out there (5 minute job). The belt is now much tighter with 8-10mm play, and the alternator is also the same.

Once its all finished, ill take the brackets out, clean them and powdercoat the steel ones with my powder coating machine.

I also re-made the VR bracket more secure, to prevent the sensor moving around. This is much better, and should avoid any problems as it is also independently mounted as opposed to sharing the S/C mounting bolts. It is still very close to the S/C belt, but ill keep an eye on it. At worst, the bracket will bend away from the trigger wheel and stop the car from running.

Then it snowed, and got even colder! Time to warm up and prepare for painting the Kitchen ceiling!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 6/2/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Had a go with the soda blaster whilst everything in the street is already white, and these are the results.

This was setting up the blaster, as i had to take the metering jet out (broken in transit).

Then i finally got the hang of it. Believe it or not, the BLACK is the cleaned area (Ali oxide is white).

(Yes i know the engine plate is missing, but i took it off to drill out the broken rivet and replace it once cleaned.)

Then i wondered what it would be like on the rust inside the block;

All in all, some pretty good results. Just need to get some goggles and a dust mask!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 11/4/12 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have this week off work, and have had some time in the Garage getting those little jobs done and out the way so that i can get the engine back in. Tonight, i have dug out the powder coating kit i bought a while back to try, and its feckin awesome! Painted my boost hoses with it so that they dont rust (Yes, theyre steel to fall in line with the "Make Everything" philosophy), and just have a couple more soldering jobs to do before putting the engine in.

Should get those last soldering jobs done and the boost hoses finished tonight, and maybe start putting the engine in tomorrow, all being well.....

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 11/4/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly on the road! (again)
dlatch

posted on 11/4/12 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
glad to see the project is on the go again
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 11/4/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Fellas. The project was always on the go, but winter slows it down a little. Im hoping to have the engine back in the car by the end of the week. After that, who knows, i might even chance an MOT again!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 12/4/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
MOT - Mostly Off T'Road ( say with yorkshire accent )
l0rd

posted on 12/4/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just noticed, i haven't posted on this for a while

Good progress but, FGS get in the garage and finish it off. It's been nearly 2 years now.

MakeEverything

posted on 13/4/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd

Good progress but, FGS get in the garage and finish it off. It's been nearly 2 years now.

At least i havent run away from mine by leaving the country!!

It lives again, but surprise surprise, not without problems!!

The alternator light is still on, so i need to check the wiring for this.....again!
My fuel pump sounds as though its straining, so i changed the HP filter, and found this;

Description
Description

Perfectly clear on the outlet, but the inlet was like diahorrea!
Hmmm. Changed it, and still sounds like its struggling after a few seconds. Could it be the FPR....?

So im pretty much back where i was, except for the alternator bracket bolts being stripped! Ive replaced the VR sensor bracket as well, so thats stronger too.

[Edited on 13-4-12 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

scudderfish

posted on 13/4/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one of those filters unused if you want it?
l0rd

posted on 13/4/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
quote:

At least i havent run away from mine by leaving the country!!

It lives again, but surprise surprise, not without problems!!

The alternator light is still on, so i need to check the wiring for this.....again!
My fuel pump sounds as though its straining, so i changed the HP filter, and found this;

Description
Description

Perfectly clear on the outlet, but the inlet was like diahorrea!
Hmmm. Changed it, and still sounds like its struggling after a few seconds. Could it be the FPR....?

So im pretty much back where i was, except for the alternator bracket bolts being stripped! Ive replaced the VR sensor bracket as well, so thats stronger too.

i only managed to get a pile of parts and that was it.

MakeEverything

posted on 13/4/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I sorted the fuel problem. The advice i had was that the inlet to the FPR was at the bottom, but that wasnt working. When i took the hose off, i ended up wearing about a pint of fuel at 4Bar! It stings in the ball bag area as well, so i dont recommend it. Hoses swapped, it now seems to be all good and idle is stable at about 600RPM.

http://youtu.be/tRINdrulpw4

Not long now before shes back on the road and ready for power tuning at a rolling road....

L0rd, dont they have parts in Greece?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 13/4/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
I've got one of those filters unused if you want it?

Thanks Dave, but i already had one. I was just too lazy to fit it!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

l0rd

posted on 13/4/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Rules in Greece are not the same as in UK. You can only have a factory built car with EU compliance.

ATM only caterhams and westies have it.

Since i got back to Greece, i finished my Military services and now i am unemployed. Due to the crisis, I am spending all the money that i have in the bank to pay extortionate taxes.

This year so far, i have payed 2000 euros on tax. My income is 7500 euros from renting 2 properties i have. Next year, i will have to pay 3500 euros on taxes for my properties, an extra 250 euros as income tax. I will also have to pay god knows how much money on fines because i have a car that according to Greek financial rules, i cannot afford (clio 1.4), a good size house i live in and because i am married.

I have some parts that i brought back with me from UK in case i start building at some stage track car.

I am looking to build a tot rod for my newborn at the moment and this is a mission. Parts in Greece are soooooo expensive. I could be better off buying a new ATV as a donor than buying the parts even second hand.

[Edited on 13/4/12 by l0rd]

l0rd

posted on 13/4/12 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Rules in Greece are not the same as in UK. You can only have a factory built car with EU compliance.

ATM only caterhams and westies have it.

I have some parts that i brought back with me from UK in case i start building at some stage track car.

I am looking to build a tot rod for my newborn at the moment and this is a mission. Parts in Greece are soooooo expensive. I could be better off buying a new ATV as a donor than buying the parts even second hand.

At the moment i cannot afford to live here

Since i got back to Greece, i finished my Military services and now i am unemployed. Due to the crisis, I am spending all the money that i have in the bank to pay extortionate taxes.

This year so far, i have payed 2000 euros on tax. My income is 7500 euros from renting 2 properties i have. Next year, i will have to pay 3500 euros on taxes for my properties, an extra 250 euros as income tax. I will also have to pay god knows how much money on fines because i have a car that according to Greek financial rules, i cannot afford (clio 1.4), a good size house i live in and because i am married.

[Edited on 13/4/12 by l0rd]

MakeEverything

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
It's been a while, but i Sorted the alternator wiring this afternoon (BIG Thanks to Davegtst), and got the car running again. Because of the higher voltage though, I've had to re-map a base map which still isn't quite right. I need it cold again to set up the warmup settings, and I also need to reset the TPS. All in all though, pretty good and ready for MOT as long as I can get a base map that doesn't give over the required HC threshold!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 25/5/12 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
It passed the MOT!!! Now I just need to tune it!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

<<  7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.