Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY shift lights
jmbillings

posted on 22/10/04 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure on PIC's - I am using a Basic Stamp which is similar but costs more. The advantage being its easier to program though (although I believe there are variants of basic for PIC's too)? For stamps, check http://www.parallax.com
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PioneerX

posted on 22/10/04 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Shift Lights -

Having worked with PIC's I think they are great for applications where you want to do a lot in a small space or something that requires some firmware.

I think for basic poo lights a PIC is just too powerful and most people would just want a small circuit they can build without worring about the programming bit. I made one of these (before going down the MegaJolt route). Works great for less than £5.

http://members.tripod.com/~foz11/DIY_MOD_s/Digital_Speedo/digital_s peedo.html

You dont need to use all 10 LED's (unless you want an RMP scale) on the output, just the normal three would do (green on the sixth, yellow on the eight, red onthe tenth), if you make R1 variable then you can adjust the point the lights come on.

As said worked well for me and was really cheap to do.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 22/10/04 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dern
Can anyone point me to an online resource for these PIC things maybe including some tutorials so I can learn all about it ?

Thanks,

Mark

Microchip are the manufacturers. You can download datasheets, application notes and the free development environment and assembler (MPLAB) for there.

Piclist.com is a great resource run by one of the moderators of the PIC mailing list which is probably the single most usefull resource available. A lot of very helpfull and knowledgable people on there.

Aside from that, there are literaly thousands of web pages devoted to the PIC and various projects using it. Hit Google to find them!

I have been writing real time embedded code for PIC's for the last 6 years or so, mainly in C but also assembler so I will attempt to answer any specific questions you have.

[Edited on 22/10/04 by MikeRJ]

dern

posted on 26/10/04 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I have been writing real time embedded code for PIC's for the last 6 years or so, mainly in C but also assembler so I will attempt to answer any specific questions you have.
Thanks Mike.

I'm not too concerned over the coding bit as that's my job albeit more recently in java but have years of C experience too going back a bit now though admitedly. The bit I know nothing about is all the business with capacitors and resistors. I'll do some reading

Regards,

Mark

mad4x4

posted on 4/11/04 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at ATtiny15L from Atmel - free c compiler can do 32 bit math and easiler to program than a pic.

They even send you free samples.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

donut

posted on 14/10/05 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
This site may help:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/masterpip/

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.