Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cutting slots in 5mm steel?
blakep82

posted on 29/11/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
cutting slots in 5mm steel?

am i right in thinking you can get drills which drill a hole, and then half way up the shaft its got some kind of cutting thing to allow you to cut slots? or am i way off?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

aaron bassett

posted on 29/11/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
you are right but they are only good for plastic really. if you want a slot best get it milled out using a milling machine
phelpsa

posted on 29/11/08 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaron bassett
you are right but they are only good for plastic really. if you want a slot best get it milled out using a milling machine

I've got one I've used for slotting 3mm steel and it's worked really well.

However it does put a lot of stress on the drill in a direction in which it was intended to take it!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
minitici

posted on 29/11/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Water jet cutting! Ideal for slots.
blakep82

posted on 29/11/08 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
i thought as much about the drill type things... cheers guys, i know my drilling's going to end up being out. big washers needed i guess!

mmm waterjet cutting. if i had one i would also, if i had time, and knew how to do a CAD drawing i would. but i don't and i can't, so for now, drilling it is

once the cars build and running and legal, i'll look to get some bits water/laser cut properly, but for now hand tools are the way

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Danozeman

posted on 29/11/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Chain drilling and file it is for you then

Those drill bits are good for ali and thin steel but 5mm steel it will blunt straight away.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

dave1888

posted on 29/11/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Drill hacksaw then file.
mr henderson

posted on 29/11/08 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

mmm waterjet cutting. if i had one i would also, if i had time, and knew how to do a CAD drawing i would. but i don't and i can't, so for now, drilling it is

Just get an adaptor for your pressure washer, and cut it by eye. CAD/CAM is for wimps. Dead simple!

John

flak monkey

posted on 29/11/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

Just get an adaptor for your pressure washer, and cut it by eye. CAD/CAM is for wimps. Dead simple!

John

ROFL

Drill hole each end, 1mm slitting blade in angle grinder, and cut the slot away. You might need to finish each end of with a pad saw and hacksaw blade, but its a lot less hassle than chain drilling

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

austin man

posted on 29/11/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Drill and jigsaw
blakep82

posted on 29/11/08 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
i *think* i've managed to do a drawing in dxf format. it seemed a bit too easy though lol

Hugh Paterson

posted on 30/11/08 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Why dont u just give me an accurate drawing on fag packet and i will job it with a slot drill ya dobber
Shug

blakep82

posted on 30/11/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
^ lol i keep forgetting

Peteff

posted on 1/12/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Drill files work but they are slow and not very accurate, snatch Shug's hand off

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mr henderson

posted on 1/12/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Drill files work but they are slow and not very accurate, snatch Shug's hand off

And tell him his avatar is a little bit wide, too

RickRick

posted on 1/12/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
drill and files are perfectly accurate, even down to 0.02mm if you've got the time and the skills
iank

posted on 1/12/08 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

John

ROFL

Drill hole each end, 1mm slitting blade in angle grinder, and cut the slot away. You might need to finish each end of with a pad saw and hacksaw blade, but its a lot less hassle than chain drilling

David

Then throw the disc away, they can shatter after grinding ally, which is a "bad thing"TM

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.