Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Upper harness mount for sva.
Danozeman

posted on 5/12/08 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Upper harness mount for sva.

Im going to weld in a cross piece in my roll bar for the harness as the chassis ones are to low. Can i nut and bolt it through a sleeve in the roll bar or has it go to be a threaded bar.

Also can i put the 2 shoulder straps for each side to 1 mounting point per side or does it have to be 2 per side??

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

JohnN

posted on 5/12/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I welded a threaded boss in, but I don't see why a welded in sleeve with the seatbelts bolted through it with the right strength bolt wouldn't be acceptable, subject to sharp edges etc.

If the geometry works out that the shoulder straps aren't constrained by the seat holes and the harness is designed as a single point fixing, then again, I don't think there'll be a problem.

The crossbar obviously needs to be made from suitably strong tube, ie same spec as roll bar tube

[img] Harness Mounts
Harness Mounts
[/img]

wicket

posted on 5/12/08 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
As long has you have room between the seat back and the harness fixing point you should be able to use a 3 point harness.
adithorp

posted on 5/12/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the SVA manual on mountings. It's quite specific about how the bushes con be fitted/welded.

SVA, section 5, annex 1.
"Threaded bushes should be welded (at both ends) through the tube, and not end mounted on the surface. (a treaded bush may be attacked by it's side surface to a structural component)"

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.