Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: race wear and helmet
MK9R

posted on 16/12/08 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
race wear and helmet

I'm going to kit myself out at the autosport show in january and have been flicking through the theiving Tweeks catalogue trying to get a rough idea of want i want. I know i should spend as much as i can afford, especially on the helmet (unfortunetly my top of the range Arai bike helmet will not do as i had it inspected by a marshal at Combe). I have set a limit of £1k for the entire set up (helmet, suit, gloves, boots, underwear). I will obviously try them all on to try and find what fits me best, especially the helmet, but has anyone got any recomendations???

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/12/08 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
well obviously I'll recommend my new helmet its got 5-stars in the new tests and its carbon

see my linky

also here's the testing site linky

[Edited on 16/12/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 16/12/08 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
That looks awesome, but unfortunetly its a bike helmet and i need a car helmet (tests are different and they have a wider opening). Some bike helmets would be OK, my old Arai should be but isn't due to one of the stickers missing, so i don;t want to risk buying something that won't pass!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/12/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
hmm yeah I don't think it has the sticker on the back for motor sport use that my old one did. But that testing site makes interesting reading, there's a video at the bottom too but my work machine won't play it...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

paul the 6th

posted on 16/12/08 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I've got an arai tour X3 (see avatar)

it's the same one as ewan and charlie use on the long way round but with the off road peak removed & a tinted visor = mean looking helmet... The visor is reasonably wide (compared to some sports/bike helmets) and it has the gold ACU sticker on the back...

Bought it a year ago at the bike show for 185 (should have been 250) and managed to blag a tinted visor for £20 instead of £50...

Just a thought

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
procomp

posted on 16/12/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

There is a few considerations to take into account with a new helmet. The main one is that now that Ireland has made HANS devices compulsory for 2009 onwards it will be coming to the UK soon for sure IMHO.

Now it used to be that you could buy the HANS clips and have them fitted by approved installers Ie Tweeks GPR etc. But the regulations have changes and as far as i know only the manufacturer is now allowed to fit the clips to the helmet. Despite tweeks still selling the clips. The helmet will have stickers inside to prove who has fitted the clips to the FIA std etc.

Which means that if having a new helmet it has to be worth having one with the clips already fitted even if not as yet using a HANS device.
Only other consideration is that in these sorts of open top cars it is well worth having one with a chin spoiler. It help prevent helmet lift at speeds approaching 135mph. Hence i am looking for a new helmet

Cheers Matt

Ps There is a difference between bike and car helmets when it comes to MSA/FIA conformity. Probably best if the discussion is kept to CAR helmets to save any confusion.

MK9R

posted on 16/12/08 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers matt, I see that some of the helmets are being sld with hans clips holes predrilled, would this be ok, or shall i just tak ethe hit now and buy one with hans clips fitted?

was looking at the bell K1 sport,
http://www.gprdirect.com/OnlineShop/Product.do?c=35&g=230&p=3432

but obviously all this is irrelavent until i try it on. No doubt the only one that will fit well will b ethe Arai GP5!!

simes43

posted on 16/12/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
GPR are offering 15% off everything, plus there is a sale rail with a range of suits.

Lico UK "Stuart Jones Rally"will do you a deal on racewear.

Helmet wise, Aria GP5. Its silly not to.

MK9R

posted on 16/12/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simes43
GPR are offering 15% off everything, plus there is a sale rail with a range of suits.

Lico UK "Stuart Jones Rally"will do you a deal on racewear.

Helmet wise, Aria GP5. Its silly not to.

Cheers, do you reckon the prices will be cheaper than what i could get at the autosport show?? I live near the NEC, and i can try loads of different stuff on while i'm there, but if prices aren't discounted then probably not worth the entrance fee (although i trying to get hold of a pair for traders day on the friday)

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

simes43

posted on 16/12/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
The suppliers are not immune from the slow down. There maybe deals around at the show, however, they usually only have the latest lines which they will be offering 10% max.

If you can get across to GPR at Silverstone they maybe open to a deal or two.

MK9R

posted on 16/12/08 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simes43
The suppliers are not immune from the slow down. There maybe deals around at the show, however, they usually only have the latest lines which they will be offering 10% max.

If you can get across to GPR at Silverstone they maybe open to a deal or two.

GPR are at the autosportshow, so i'll speak to them their Cheers for the pointers!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

blackie

posted on 16/12/08 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
This looks like a great deal for a low cost (or Locost) crash helmet

If I was in the market for a new lid, I'd be looking at one of these.....

Image deleted by owner

PS I'm not on a comission

MK9R

posted on 16/12/08 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blackie
This looks like a great deal for a low cost (or Locost) crash helmet

If I was in the market for a new lid, I'd be looking at one of these.....

Image deleted by owner

PS I'm not on a comission

I can't find it on their website, seems to be only MX stuff

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

antonio

posted on 16/12/08 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
not on comission too, but i bought sparco ADV circuit and its perfect.

[Edited on 16/12/08 by antonio]

simes43

posted on 16/12/08 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
not sure I would want my head protected by the lowest quote.............
procomp

posted on 16/12/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
price seems to have very little to do with the actual quality or standard of protection. The V2 is marketed by IKON but the manufacturer of them also has customers who supply very expensive helmets that look very very simalar. The V2 is Snell approved and meets the latest MSA standards.

Seems that IKON dont need to make as much profit as others do.

Cheers Matt

alistairolsen

posted on 16/12/08 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
where are the IKON helmets available from, and can you get them with HANS clips?
procomp

posted on 16/12/08 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

They are only available direct from IKON. Tel number is on the add posted above. Re HANS clips they say they are looking into them. Think thats due to the new regs that stipulate who can and can not fit them.

Cheers Matt

carpmart

posted on 16/12/08 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.v2sport.com/

The V2 Pro looks excellent value for money

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

MK9R

posted on 16/12/08 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
they look amazing value!!! It just feels wrong spending that little on a helmet, but as matt says the levels of safety aren't guaranteed to be linked to the price. mmmmmmmm??

[Edited on 16/12/08 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

carpmart

posted on 16/12/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
they look amazing value!!! It just feels wrong spending that little on a helmet, but as matt says the levels of safety aren't guaranteed to be linked to the price. mmmmmmmm??

[Edited on 16/12/08 by MK9R]

I would rather change the helmet more often. My theory being that a £600 + helmet if you have a small accident on track or careless moment (drop) round the paddock your going to be much less inclined to replace it than if the helmet cost less in the first place. As long as it meets safety test standards and will protect you bonce in the 'big one' then who cares if its £150 or £3k?

Helmets in open cockpit environments actual pick up a fair amount of 'interesting' marks over the course of a season. Changing it regularly is more of a priority to me than having a brand.

I actually have more than one helmet. This is nice on hot days when you have been out practice/qualifying then race(s) you have a nice 'fresh' lid to put on for the race.

Just my tuppence worth!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

simes43

posted on 16/12/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
A cheap copy of a Bell. Nice.

If you get the chance to pick up and compare a Bell and an Aria at the Autosport, do.

It takes about 3 seconds to realise the significant difference in quality between the two companies products.

Try the US for better prices, even now, if you know someone who is going out there. I got my GP5 there and saved £400 quid.

General Bilko

posted on 16/12/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Shops (& presumably DT) whack a big mark up on manufacturers stuff, it could be as high as 100% in some cases. So buying direct you should be able to get a much better price than for something comparable in the shops. I'm sure there are differences between Arai and Bell quality-wise, and it's up to the buyer if they feel the price difference is worth it. Personally if a helmet meets SA or UK testing standards and is MSA approved then that's the main criteria for me. I could buy a Rolex but my Citizen keeps pretty good time......
blackie

posted on 16/12/08 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by General Bilko

I could buy a Rolex but my Citizen keeps pretty good time......

I think the General makes the point well - (& welcome btw!) - if you like & can afford an expensive lid, then by all means go ahead, but there are lids out there that pass all the same tests & cost a fraction of the price of other lids - I believe it's an unfounded concern that you're compromising your safety by buying a cheaper helmet, as all the lids on the market have to pass the same tests for our use.

My 2 cents,

All the best,

DB

procomp

posted on 17/12/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
HI

Dear oh dear please do not get me started on the use of SAFTEY related products being used. Espesialy in the locost championship.

Cheers Matt

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.