Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: noise and cops
A1

posted on 21/12/08 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
noise and cops

what happens if you get stopped with a 'rather' loud exhaust? can you get points?
mr henderson

posted on 21/12/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
what happens if you get stopped with a 'rather' loud exhaust? can you get points?

I hope so. Lots

BenB

posted on 21/12/08 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
You can get

A) a fine for antisocial behaviour
B) a fine for breaking the rules of the highway act which says

Avoidance of excessive noise

112. A motor vehicle shall not be used on a road in such manner as to cause excessive noise which could have been avoided by the exercise of reasonable care on the part of the driver.

It's also illegal to replace an OEM exhaust with a louder one!!! Some of the chav racers have been done for this with their bucket exhausts.

Clearly on a homebrew car there is no OEM part so they could only do you for being anti-social unless they could prove that you've changed the exhaust since registration for a noisier one (presumably they'd have to get the SVA dB result).....

Usually, however, the police will stop a noisy car and then find something else wrong with it to put the fine / points onto....

A1

posted on 21/12/08 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the helpful reply, always appreciated
JoelP

posted on 21/12/08 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
it seems unlikely a copper would be bothered unless it was stupidly loud. I tried to drive to harrogate with no exhaust besides 12" seperate headers, i'll admit that was a little over the top. Indeed, i had to give up because i literally couldnt accelerate with the pain.
A1

posted on 21/12/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
its not too loud, i stick it into 6th in towns to keep it down a tad. sounds gorgeous!...here...

A1

posted on 21/12/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
sorry about the size
ReMan

posted on 21/12/08 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just got back from a blast, with my "RATHER" loud exhaust. as said, sounds good to me.
Also contributes to my safety, as even with a bright yellow car and lights on, you are at still regularly unseen

ReMan

posted on 21/12/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
its not too loud, i stick it into 6th in towns to keep it down a tad. sounds gorgeous!...here...

Now that's what I call minimal

ReMan

posted on 21/12/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Even more minimal than the "Stubby" I made and ran for a while last summer Rescued attachment Img_0035.jpg
Rescued attachment Img_0035.jpg

rusty nuts

posted on 21/12/08 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Its possible for the exhaust to fail an MOT test due to excessive noise and the regulations are due to be tightened in the very near future. AFAIK there is no requirement for noise meters at MOT stations in the pipeline.
Andi

posted on 21/12/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Recently watched one of those "road wars" type Police thingies and they had set up a trap on a well known bikers route and were giving fixed penalty`s for having race cans on
(some of them had stickers on saying for race only not for road use)

maximill666

posted on 21/12/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
That must be seriously loud!

I use a small bike silencer on mine & its loud, but not as loud as yours must be. As soon as I touch the loud pedal in anger, friends say they can hear me 5 mins before I arrive, so you know its gonna attract unwanted attention from the plod

I feel sorry for your passengers as they cry when their left ear drums get pummelled when its singing on full chat Rescued attachment DSC02433.2.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC02433.2.JPG

David Jenkins

posted on 21/12/08 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'd guess that if you get pulled over and they take a look at your system then they'll decide that you're taking the pee, and book you for not having a silencer...

omega0684

posted on 21/12/08 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
i thought that any road bound car must have a sufficiant exhaust system so that the noise is less than 105 db @ 2/3 power output and that is why they test it at 105 db at sva?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 21/12/08 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think the police will take to much notice of noise, but if they do then you will have probably fallen foul of them for some other reason in the first instance.

When I lived in Rushden on the one way circuit, we were frequently plagued during the summer by 'boy racers' hooning round from 8pm until 3am. They would welly it round with their stereo's turned up so loud that they would drown out the tv through double glazing.
(A)
So I reported this to the police as a nuisance of noise from cars. The reply I got was "I'm sorry sir but as it involves a noise related problem, you will have to speak to the council and get them to enforce against the problem."

So I ring the council, -----------------
"I'm sorry sir but as it is related to motor vehicles you will have to speak to the police about the problem."

Return to (A).

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

wicket

posted on 21/12/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Current SVA noise level is 101dB
PAUL FISHER

posted on 21/12/08 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
And I believe its being reduced to 99db's for the new IVA
DIY Si

posted on 21/12/08 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
My exhaust is fairly loud, but only if I open the throttle all the way up. My mates bikes are louder. I've been sat alongside/in front of/behind police cars in traffic and never been pulled up for it. My old mini was louder and I once got pulled in that for an apparently blowing exhaust. They had to ask me to turn it off as they couldn't hear what I was saying! But they never said anything about the noise level.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

A1

posted on 21/12/08 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
yea, its quite loud, but it sounds sooo nice!! i had a silencer on for sva, it kinda fell off though might put it back on if i can get points cause ive still not had my license for 2 years, so i could lose it
keep getting told to slow down by people cause it sounds like im going really fast when im not

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 21/12/08 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Reason for the motorcycles being stopped (previous post) is that the exhausting law is quite specific. Politicians have no problems generating reams of regulation for motorcyclists.
However, usual get around is a BS labelled silencer with a removal baffle... but in doing so, you really are just asking to be pulled over.
Plenty of Harley Tractor riders seem to get away with extended headers though, which I find strange, the State Oppression Units prefer to stop sports bikes.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.