Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wire tidynuss for SVA
Pdlewis

posted on 1/3/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Wire tidynuss for SVA

Is the SVA man anal about super tidy wireing? All the wiring travels arround the car nicly in conuet and spiral wrap but today i was doing some work on the underside of my dash and thought it looked quite untidy (although its cable tied together)

Underdash (The main fues is the only bit which isnt in its correct place this is the fues with the red wires)
wire1
wire1

From the cockpit (The one loose wire still needs tidying up
Wire2
Wire2

The battery cables will be attached in the passenger foot well

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

jacko

posted on 1/3/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Is the battery ok in the foot well like that or should it be in a box for the SVA/IVA
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 1/3/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
if i was an sva inspector and i saw wires hanging down from behind the dash i would be very concerned and i would start taking a more in depth look under the dash, imho those wires need tidying up
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt.c

posted on 1/3/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yep they need sorting. remember wires every where can also cause fires.

Pdlewis

posted on 1/3/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
is it a case of popping the shuttle off sorting into fuse box trunk, ecu trunk and subloom feeds then wrap with loom tape? or would split conduet be better?

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

omega0684

posted on 1/3/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
i have bunched all my wiring up and wrapped in in loom tape and then put that inside conveluted tubing. you may have some exposed areas but thats ok, the simpler and tidier it looks the better
Pdlewis

posted on 1/3/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know about the battery in the foot well potential issue raised by Jacko?

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

bassett

posted on 1/3/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
If you put a passenger foot rest in front that could sort the issue out.
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Pdlewis

posted on 1/3/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
What about velcroing a sheet of plastic infront of it so the battery is complettly covered? I think coozer did this but not 100%

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

MakeEverything

posted on 1/3/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
I really wouldnt want the battery in the passenger compartment at all.
Batteries have been known to explode on high load such as starting, if the elecrolyte level is low or the plates have broken down enough.

Its probably an hours work to move it to the engine bay, so why not just do that, and put a plastic cover over it?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

ashg

posted on 1/3/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
i dont want to come across as being mean but i would cut it all back, loom it up and re-crimp all the ends again.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

iiyama

posted on 2/3/09 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
As above, then loom it all up with tape. SVA man WILL look, so the neater the better......

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

Pdlewis

posted on 2/3/09 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Guys,

I'll strip back and wrap and recrimp. I thought this is what it needed and lets face it its only going to take an evening so more than worth it.

as far as the battery in the footwell I thought this was quite common. Im going to make a box/cover so the battery is not visable / acccessable but will be easily removable if i need to charge

mad-butcher

posted on 2/3/09 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
don't forget he has to get his sphere under the dash level with lower edge, mine failed on a couple of contactable relays
mad-butcher

posted on 2/3/09 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
relays Rescued attachment fail.jpg
Rescued attachment fail.jpg

andrew.carwithen

posted on 2/3/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
You could always hide the underdash wiring behind a panel. I made one out of 0.5mm ally sheet from b&q (very flexible) Its springiness helps hold it in place, though I did pop-rivet a strap on either end and fixed it to chassis and dash supportwith self-tappers. I used finished edges with u-trim for necessary radii. SVA man seemed happy with it and didn't attempt to move it to inspect wiring behind. (pic below) Rescued attachment sva3 014.JPG
Rescued attachment sva3 014.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.