Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bl**dy Honda dealer!!!
DaveFJ

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Bl**dy Honda dealer!!!

just dropped my 07 Civic... the horrible peice of cr*p is back in again - this time to have the front passengers side macpherson strut replaced....car is making horrible noise from strut top bearing? and started pulling to the right...
this car has given me so many problems! it may be a honda but is built in Swindon, build quality? whats that?

anyway... dropped it off and was told that checking the tracking is chargeable as it doesnt come under warranty! argued with them that they are replacing the front suspension and they ought to be damn well checking the tracking post a job like that anyway!

will have to wait and see later if they try to charge me for it!

dont know what i hate more - the car or the dealer.....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

coozer

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
You'll find its the dealer, normally the plant are more than willing to help as they have a reputation to keep up.

Replacing parts under warranty is chargable to the supplier (this being the original strut supplier) and ALL associated repairs and setup are chargeable to them as well.

Tell them they have to put brakes back on and the wheel so what's so different about setting the correct tracking?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
strange, my sister has a civic and despite her thundering up and down dirt tracks it passes its MOT first time every time. 2 weeks of going the same route in my last bluebird and the rear suspension snapped

They should like you say be check the tracking after that job anyway, I'm sure they are just assuming you'd not know any better. Changing a strut is a very simple job, surprised you’re not doing it yourself

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
The dealer p***ed me off when I had a honda too - maybe they are trained like that

I would tell them not to do the tracking if they are going to charge for it - then get it done somewhere else.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

iank

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Changing a strut is a very simple job, surprised you’re not doing it yourself

Warrantee company won't deal with individuals afaik.

If they don't do the tracking for free ask them how they know it's correct - they have a duty of care to do the repair safely.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DaveFJ

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
strange, my sister has a civic and despite her thundering up and down dirt tracks it passes its MOT first time every time. 2 weeks of going the same route in my last bluebird and the rear suspension snapped

They should like you say be check the tracking after that job anyway, I'm sure they are just assuming you'd not know any better. Changing a strut is a very simple job, surprised you’re not doing it yourself

would this be the old civic? that was a decent car!
the new model is built in the UK - make that thrown together!! and is total poo!
I would do the job myself but not when the car is 18 months old and under warranty....

Dave

smart51

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I would argue that the car is dangerous if they've replaced the strut and not done the tracking. Warranties are notourious for not covering things. They'll usually replace the broken part but not the other things needed to do the job.

Ask the dealer for the contact details of customer complaints at Honda UK, or talk of going to trading standards. Make an appropriate complaint and some dealers will do the work for you.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ

the new model is built in the UK - make that thrown together!! and is total poo!
I would do the job myself but not when the car is 18 months old and under warranty....

yeah its the older model she has, seems bomb proof

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
idl1975

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
No guarantee the mfg. will pay them to check/reset tracking, so this is one of those rare circumstances where it's not necessarily a stealer being evil.

Yes, the manufacturer will often put things right if you complain directly, because that's one of the functions of the dealer - to make them look good by having the dealer say no and the mfg. say yes.

Honda UK might be happy to authorise the work if you complain directly to them, but if the same dealer simply attempted to charge them for labour to do the tracking, they might not get paid.

So definitely go direct to Honda in the first instance to ask why it would not be covered.

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
You'll find its the dealer, normally the plant are more than willing to help as they have a reputation to keep up.

Replacing parts under warranty is chargable to the supplier (this being the original strut supplier) and ALL associated repairs and setup are chargeable to them as well.

Tell them they have to put brakes back on and the wheel so what's so different about setting the correct tracking?

britishtrident

posted on 20/4/09 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Not had much to do with he latest generation cars but any Hondas I worked on don't have a strut -- it is a long coil spring damper unit with a forked end --- no way changing can affect the tracking.

You can easily do a visual check on Hondas the top ball joint and top wishbone are normally visible through the wheel arch above the tyre.

I remember Honda had policy not to use strut suspension -- this was one of the points that caused friction when they designed cars with Rover as Rover wanted to use struts on all models to make it easier to fit older designs of engines.

Normally even for strut suspension after changing a strut it is not normal working practice to retrack the car.
However if it is in the Honda WSM procedure they should pay.

[Edited on 20/4/09 by britishtrident]

robinj66

posted on 20/4/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Dave
you might want to try this tack - your car goes into the garage with perfect tracking - you are entitled to have the car back in the same state as it went in - otherwise the garage have "damaged" your car - you would have a complaint against them for failing to comply with their duty of care

Ask to see their Customer care policy

[Edited on 20/4/09 by robinj66]

DaveFJ

posted on 20/4/09 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
Dave
you might want to try this tack - your car goes into the garage with perfect tracking - you are entitled to have the car back in the same state as it went in - otherwise the garage have "damaged" your car - you would have a complaint against them for failing to comply with their duty of care

Ask to see their Customer care policy

[Edited on 20/4/09 by robinj66]

thing is the car is pulling to the right.... that is one of the stated problems which i have attributed to the suspension problems - it has got worse in line with the noise....

will see what they say when i go to collect... if they try to bill me i will just argue loudly in front of the other customers until they give in to make me go away

Dave

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 20/4/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry all Honda dealer are not the same. I work at one and although I work in the sales dept, our aftersales dept are fantastic. If you are having problems with them then speak to Honda customer relations. for what its worth I couldn't see my service dept charging if they are changing the suspension.

0845 200 8000 Honda customer relations.

Pete.

[Edited on 20/4/09 by peteday_uk@btinternet.com]

MikeRJ

posted on 20/4/09 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I had the old 5 door Civic which was built in Swindon, and it was pretty well built considering it was a Rover 400 in disguise.

DaveFJ

posted on 20/4/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well they backed down when i went to collect the car

so nothing paid.... just £350 to find next month for a 24k service

[Edited on 20-4-09 by DaveFJ]

Dave

iank

posted on 20/4/09 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Well they backed down when i went to collect the car

Hurrah

quote:
just £350 to find next month for a 24k service

Almost one and a half locosts for a service

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.